Jun 5, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT
Orioles shortstop prospect Manny Machado suffered a patella subluxation of his left knee in early May while playing in a game at Single-A Delmarva.
He’s been rehabbing at the Orioles’ spring training complex for the past couple weeks and is just about ready to rejoin the Delmarva Shorebirds.
According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, Machado is expected to leave extended spring training on Sunday and return to the Delmarva starting lineup on Monday against West Virginia.
Machado, 18, was selected with the third overall pick in the 2010 MLB Amateur Draft. He has posted a .333/.450/.611 batting line, five home runs and 21 RBI in 111 plate appearances this season at a low level of Single-A and could climb his way to High-A ball by the end of the year if all continues going well. The Florida native is one of the top prospects in all of baseball.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 20
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)