Jun 5, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT
Orioles shortstop prospect Manny Machado suffered a patella subluxation of his left knee in early May while playing in a game at Single-A Delmarva.
He’s been rehabbing at the Orioles’ spring training complex for the past couple weeks and is just about ready to rejoin the Delmarva Shorebirds.
According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, Machado is expected to leave extended spring training on Sunday and return to the Delmarva starting lineup on Monday against West Virginia.
Machado, 18, was selected with the third overall pick in the 2010 MLB Amateur Draft. He has posted a .333/.450/.611 batting line, five home runs and 21 RBI in 111 plate appearances this season at a low level of Single-A and could climb his way to High-A ball by the end of the year if all continues going well. The Florida native is one of the top prospects in all of baseball.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)