Jun 5, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT
Orioles shortstop prospect Manny Machado suffered a patella subluxation of his left knee in early May while playing in a game at Single-A Delmarva.
He’s been rehabbing at the Orioles’ spring training complex for the past couple weeks and is just about ready to rejoin the Delmarva Shorebirds.
According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, Machado is expected to leave extended spring training on Sunday and return to the Delmarva starting lineup on Monday against West Virginia.
Machado, 18, was selected with the third overall pick in the 2010 MLB Amateur Draft. He has posted a .333/.450/.611 batting line, five home runs and 21 RBI in 111 plate appearances this season at a low level of Single-A and could climb his way to High-A ball by the end of the year if all continues going well. The Florida native is one of the top prospects in all of baseball.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)