Phil Hughes targeting early-July return to the major leagues

Jun 5, 2011, 10:33 AM EDT

hughes throws Reuters

Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News passes along notice that Yankees starter Phil Hughes has been cleared to report to the team’s spring training complex in Tampa to continue his rehabilitation from right arm fatigue. He’ll arrive there Monday.

Hughes has been traveling with his Yankees teammates for the past couple of weeks and threw a live batting practice session on Saturday to backups Chris Dickerson and Francisco Cervelli.

He told the Daily News that the workout went well, and that he’s feeling pretty strong:

“I felt like the ball was coming out of my hand good and I had no issues throwing. Everything seemed pretty sharp. At this stage, I think that’s pretty much all I can ask for. I’ve said all along I won’t know for sure until I get in a game, but so far everything has been right where I want it. There’s somewhat of a timetable now; I can sort of start to look ahead.”

Hughes will begin participating in extended spring training games within the next few days. If everything goes smoothly, he could begin a minor league rehab assignment by the middle of June.

Yankees manager Joe Girardi suggested last week that Hughes could be back before the All-Star break.

1. purdueman - Jun 5, 2011 at 10:59 AM

About time he lets the Yankees know when he’s planning to come off of his paid vacation. His timing in doing so should be good too, as long about the time he returns either Colon or Garcia should be ready to take their perennial place on the DL, filling up the vacated spot on it that Hughes will leave.

2. yankeesfanlen - Jun 5, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I’m going to laugh, laugh, laugh when Sabathia, Burnett, Hughes, Colon, Garcia take us to 28.

• purdueman - Jun 5, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Well yankeefan I have to disagree with you there. I realize that everyone suspects that Hank and Hal are cheapskates, but I just don’t think that Colon and Garcia will make it all the way to the 2028 season, even though I’m sure that Hank and Hal are enamored at the thought due to their relatively cheap salaries!

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 5, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Thanks for letting me know the price of everything and the value of nothing. The Yankees, through their scouting, development, and checkbook are continually attempting to pout the best poossible team in front of their fans.
        There’s this thing called the luxury tax that they unbegrudginly pay on an annual basis to support an unrounded Major League as far as finances go. It’s kind of like John D. Rockefeller, in his dotage, giving nickels to children and dimes to adults. It was viewed as being sort of petty for such a wealthy man, however the receipients were better off after they had received it.

• purdueman - Jun 5, 2011 at 12:00 PM

yankeefan, you’re talking past tense when old Georgie Porgy ran the team. It was clear this offseason that Hank and Hal only begrudgingly retained Jeter and they filled out the Yankee rotation in a most uncharacteristic Steinbrenner manner by bottom feeding for two guys on the wrong side of 35 with a history are major injuries.

None of us though know what course Hank and Hal will choose to charter in the near future, but the mere fact that Hank is openly jealous of the mansion Jeter is building in Tampa isn’t what I’d exactly call a good sign for Yankee fans.

The honeymoon is now over in Chicago where Cub fans already are pining for a divorce from their new owner Tom Ricketts. When Ricketts wrote a letter this past offseason telling season ticket holders that (in essence), more of the clubs assets were going to be diverted (as in to Ricketts personal checking account), to “the farm system and player development”, it was a clear indication as to what direction he’s planning to take the Cubs in.

In other words, lets wait and see what Hank and Hal are going to do if the Yankees starting rotation breaks down come the dog days of August before you go blowing your horn as to how willing they are to continue to increase their luxury tax spending.

3. uyf1950 - Jun 5, 2011 at 3:01 PM

yankeesfanlen – Please ignore purdueman. That higher degree education that he places so much value on and seems to have impressed no one but himself has effected his brain cells. Apparently while at the Institute of Higher Learning he minored in Fortune Telling and Tarot Card Reading. Let him talk.

• purdueman - Jun 5, 2011 at 3:12 PM

ufy, you’re certainly clever all right; at least about as clever as any other 12 year old out there, that is!

• uyf1950 - Jun 5, 2011 at 4:25 PM

If I wasn’t ignoring you. I would reply. But then again in your delusional state you probably think this is in itself is a reply.

4. king3319 - Jun 5, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Once again!!!! Purdue nobody like you!!! I said it before it should tell you something!!! Shut up!!!

• purdueman - Jun 5, 2011 at 7:42 PM

LOL! I’m not here to either be liked, nor to win a popularity contest either. If I wanted to do that I’d post nothing but soppy blogs about how great and wonderful everyone’s teams are, but frankly that makes for lousy reading and unnecessarily protects those who can’t handle the truth!

5. yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Jun 5, 2011 at 8:08 PM

The entire issue with Phil is his velocity, so I find it hard to believe that nobody on the staff seems to think it might be a good idea to have a speed gun handy.

• patsandsox - Jun 6, 2011 at 9:29 AM

probably letting him build arm strenght before they put the speed gun tests on him

Three legends off to Cooperstown