Pujols strikes again, second straight walkoff sweeps Cubs

Jun 5, 2011, 5:36 PM EDT

Albert Pujols AP

Albert Pujols is most certainly back.

Not to be outdone by his own performance in Saturday afternoon’s 12th-inning victory over the rival Cubs, the Cardinals first baseman slugged a second straight walkoff home run on Sunday in a thrilling 3-2 extra-innings win for St. Louis.

The Cards swept the three-game series.

Albert’s 10th-inning blast sailed high into the left-center field bleachers. He admired the shot for several seconds at home plate before trotting around the bases slowly and dancing down the third base line into a jumping huddle of Cardinals players. It’s quite clear: he’s feelin’ it.

That’s now four homers in three games for Pujols, and two of the game-ending variety.

Pujols ended the month of May with a .267/.336/.419 batting line. Just five games into June, he’s now hitting .278/.353/.473. His OPS has jumped from .745 to .826 in less than a week.

Cubs manager Mike Quade told reporters on Sunday morning that he didn’t sleep Saturday night after making the decision to pitch to Pujols in the 12th inning. Somebody may want to pass him some Ambien for the plane ride to Cincinnati, because he made an almost identical decision on Sunday afternoon in the 10th.

The Cardinals are now 11 games above .500 and alone atop the National League Central standings.

1. ultimatecardinalwarrior - Jun 5, 2011 at 5:46 PM

He is my safety blanket, my rock, a shoulder to lean on. He gives me exactly what I want, when I want it. He is the light. The power. The force to end all forces. He is, in a word, the mang.

2. crimhollingsworth - Jun 5, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Well at least the future is bright for the Cubs- They’ve got Darwin Barwin and he will win ROY with his .660 OPS.

3. crimhollingsworth - Jun 5, 2011 at 6:04 PM

My bad career .660 this season .688.

4. 78mu - Jun 5, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Sure he’s hit 4 homers in 3 games but I also saw him strike out twice today. I’m dropping him from my fantasy team for some gritty contact hitter that isn’t afraid to get his uniform dirty. I think the writer in Seattle said Miguel Olivo is the most important player on the Mariners after he went headfirst into 1B so he’s my man now.

This Pujols guy is a flash-in-the-pan. If he’s so good wouldn’t his hometown Royals have selected him when they had the chance? The Royals have to be the smartest team in Missouri since my friends in KC keep reminding me they won the 1985 WS.

And in case you are from Kansas City, I will now turn off the sarcasm.

5. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 5, 2011 at 6:16 PM

I was at the 7th game of the 85 series, best moment in my life as a baseball fan! Seriously though, i said last night, if gets even remotely hot with the bat the NL central race is over.

6. jwbiii - Jun 5, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Sure, but can he hit major league pitching?

7. yippityskippity69 - Jun 5, 2011 at 8:35 PM

when will the cubbies learn? I am a cub fan till I die but it seems as if they play with no strategy and don’t much care if they even contend! pujols gets us twice in 2 days and I can’t see why they would even pitch to him in either situation! They put out a mediocre product year after year and know the fans will still come out in droves to support there team.

• purdueman - Jun 5, 2011 at 10:02 PM

When will the Cubbies again have a contending team? When one of the Roosevelt’s rise up again to become President of the United States!

Like it or not, to those true Cub baseball fans who actually go to the games at Wrigley Field to watch baseball (as opposed to making the scene), when the Cubs put lights on Wrigley Field a new breed (or more like half-breeds), of “night creature North Shore yuppy scum” came out of the woodwork like cockroaches and have ruined it for all of you true Cub baseball fans, driving ticket prices sky high and giving management no incentive to spend the money needed to put a winner on the field.

Even the Little Sisters of the all women over 50 softball league would draw 1.5M a season, just because of the mystique that has become Wrigley Field. Sure, old and nostalgic is nice, but you won’t see me driving a Packard or riding a horse to work any time soon too!

• royalsfaninfargo - Jun 5, 2011 at 11:06 PM

I think you are right about the crowds at Wrigley, but to say the Cubs havent spent the money is wrong. Soriano, Fukudome, Ramirez, the list goes on. You can make the very easy argument they havent spent money wisely. That is a no-brainer.

• purdueman - Jun 5, 2011 at 11:50 PM

The money that you refer to the Cubs spending was approved and spent by their former owners, the Tribune Company.

Since Tommy Ricketts (sounds ilke a disease, doesn’t it?), bought the team, the only big free agent acquisition the Cubs have made was giving last years .196 hitting Carlos Pena $10M for this season.

8. gennij65 - Jun 5, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Do as Pujols says, never do as he does. Certainly a guy who has repeatedly chastised the Brewers for disrespecting the game would never EVER stare down a ball and point at his handiwork with his bat after hitting a walk-off home run. You know, because he respects the game and he’s totally infallible.

• thefalcon123 - Jun 5, 2011 at 10:55 PM

I have no recollection of Pujols ever chastising the Brewers for anything at all. I do remember Skip Schumaker doing so, which would make you the only man alive to ever confuse Skip Schumaker with Albert Pujols.

• paperlions - Jun 5, 2011 at 11:07 PM

I think Pujols was one of the Cardinals that whined about the Brewers untucking their shirts after a win back when Mike Cameron was on the team. I know a few Cardinals (and probably LaRussa) said something to the media about it….a pretty lame thing to comment on if you ask me, it isn’t like the Brewers were taunting or anything….just doing their own little thing after a win.

• okwhitefalcon - Jun 5, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Speaking of The Brewers and their choreography, was watching “Intentional Talk” with Chris Rose and Kevin Millar last week when the subject of “most disliked” team came up.

Millar commented on how the Cards are disliked because of their arrogance and winning tradition while Rose said the team he most commonly heard from players in general was unquestionably the Brewers…

9. okwhitefalcon - Jun 5, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Albert’s pretty much earned the right to stare down a game winner in his home park, being the best player of your generation does have it perks.

10. purdueman - Jun 5, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Bwahahahaha! The Flubs are so inept they defy explanation! Manager Mike Quade is truly the second coming of former White Sox manager and Blue Jay coach Terry Bevington. Bevington is best remembered for being the numbnuts who went out and pulled his pitcher in the 8th inning of a game when no one in the bullpen had even been warming up!

The Flubs are well on their way as being the “Lovable Losers” to their 103rd consecutive season without winning a championship. The last time the Flubs won a World Series, Teddy Roosevelt was President and hawking his book on big game hunting in Africa. A large part of America were still using horses as their primary mode of transportation and indoor plumbing hadn’t yet been invented!

Now the new Cubs owner has told Flub season ticket holders that “resources are going to be diverted into the farm system and signing prospects”, which is another way of saying: “I’m going to slash the payroll and pocket the profits because you all are a bunch of chumps and will continue to pay some of the highest ticket prices in baseball just to go to beautiful, urine smelling, old and crumbling Wrigley Field (where chicken wire protects fans from falling chunks of concrete above them).

11. swisher4mayor - Jun 5, 2011 at 9:45 PM

My second favorite team is the cardinals and one of the main reasons why is because of this guy- Albert Pujols. What i dont understand is why dont the cubs actually think for once and intentionally walk him. No one in that line up is as dangerous as Albert Pujols, no matter how good of a year John Jay is having i would so rather face Jay than Pujols.

12. cup0pizza - Jun 6, 2011 at 1:08 AM

1908. Suck it, Cubbies. =)

13. umrguy42 - Jun 6, 2011 at 9:01 AM

I suspect the rest of the NL pitchers saw this and thought “awww sh*t…” and will be checking schedules to see if they have to pitch to him :p

14. theolgoaler - Jun 6, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Mike Quade is a baseball “lifer”… nobody intentionally walks the leadoff man to start the bottom of an extra inning! That said, a belt-high sinker wasn’t the best pitch to throw in that situation (as became obvious as soon as bat met ball)!

• spudchukar - Jun 6, 2011 at 1:30 PM

You cannot walk the lead-off hitter to start the bottom of the 9th inning tied, no matter if it is some combined clone of Ruth/Bonds. Lead-off walks score 50% of the time, or nearly so. Nobody hits a Home Run every other time up, even if it may seem so.

Orioles turn AL East on its head