Jun 6, 2011, 8:41 PM EDT
Dodgers selected Stanford left-hander Chris Reed with the 16th overall pick in the 2011 draft.
Reed has served as Stanford’s closer this season but will get a chance to start in the Dodgers organization. He’s a solid left-hander with three good pitches, but it’s fairly clear the Dodgers opted for signability here as opposed to raw talent. He was not projected to go in the first round by many draft services and could wind up back in the bullpen.
Angels picked Utah first baseman C.J. Cron with the 17th pick.
Cron also played some catcher for the Utes, but the Angels are expected to keep him at first base. He won Player of the Year honors in the Mountain West twice and posted an .803 slugging percentage this season in 198 at-bats. The 21-year-old has serious offensive updside — maybe the most of anyone in this year’s draft pool.
The A’s took Vanderbilt right-hander Sonny Gray with the 18th pick.
Gray is a bit small at 5’11”, but he has a very good one-two punch in his low-90s fastball and slider, and if his changeup comes, he could be a No. 2 starter someday. He’s not as polished as most of the college pitchers taken ahead of him.
The Red Sox took Connecticut right-hander Matt Barnes at No. 19.
Barnes, the second UConn player to go in the first round, throws 91-94 mph and has an excellent slider. He has a long way to go before he’ll be ready to help as a starter, but some think he could come quick as a reliever. Maybe he’ll go the Justin Masterson route.
Rockies picked Oregon left-hander Tyler Anderson with the 20th selection.
Anderson doesn’t have dominating stuff, but he’s a smart left-hander with great control and a highly developed changeup. The 21-year-old doesn’t have the highest ceiling, but he has the tools to become a reliable member of the Colorado rotation and could move quickly.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 15
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 14
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54