Jun 6, 2011, 10:39 PM EDT
The Blue Jays selected Massachusetts high school pitcher Tyler Beede at No. 21 overall.
Beede has mature mechanics and throws three quality pitches: a low-90s fastball with good life, a hard-breaking slurve and a changeup. The 20-year-old right-hander is committed to Vanderbilt, so the Blue Jays will have to flash some dollar signs to get a deal struck.
The Cardinals took Hawaii second baseman Kolten Wong with the 22nd overall pick.
Wong doesn’t have great size, but his plate approach is fantastic and he’s a plus runner. The Cardinals will hope that he eventually turns into a reliable leadoff hitter, something they’ve needed for years. He posted a remarkable .429 on-base percentage this season as a college junior.
Nationals took Kentucky righty Alex Meyer with the 23rd pick.
The lanky 21-year-old posted a 2.94 ERA and struck out 110 batters in 101 innings this season for Kentucky. Meyer is still quite raw, but he throws a high-90s fastball and has the stuff and build of a potential ace. Another nice selection for the Nats.
The Rays drafted right-hander Taylor Guerrieri at No. 24.
Most thought Guerrieri would go higher. A high school righty with a mid-90s fastball and a plus curve, he possesses an awful lot of potential. The Rays have 10 of the draft’s first 60 selections and are going after talent no matter the cost.
The Padres selected California high school pitcher Joe Ross with the 25th overall pick.
The younger brother of A’s pitcher Tyson Ross, Joe has a great build and a fastball that has been clocked at 95 MPH. He also throws a curve and changeup, but both pitches need work. The 18-year-old is committed to UCLA and could decide to become a Bruin if the Padres don’t pay up. If he does sign, he’ll have the spacious confines of PETCO Park to look forward to.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)