Jun 6, 2011, 10:39 PM EDT
The Blue Jays selected Massachusetts high school pitcher Tyler Beede at No. 21 overall.
Beede has mature mechanics and throws three quality pitches: a low-90s fastball with good life, a hard-breaking slurve and a changeup. The 20-year-old right-hander is committed to Vanderbilt, so the Blue Jays will have to flash some dollar signs to get a deal struck.
The Cardinals took Hawaii second baseman Kolten Wong with the 22nd overall pick.
Wong doesn’t have great size, but his plate approach is fantastic and he’s a plus runner. The Cardinals will hope that he eventually turns into a reliable leadoff hitter, something they’ve needed for years. He posted a remarkable .429 on-base percentage this season as a college junior.
Nationals took Kentucky righty Alex Meyer with the 23rd pick.
The lanky 21-year-old posted a 2.94 ERA and struck out 110 batters in 101 innings this season for Kentucky. Meyer is still quite raw, but he throws a high-90s fastball and has the stuff and build of a potential ace. Another nice selection for the Nats.
The Rays drafted right-hander Taylor Guerrieri at No. 24.
Most thought Guerrieri would go higher. A high school righty with a mid-90s fastball and a plus curve, he possesses an awful lot of potential. The Rays have 10 of the draft’s first 60 selections and are going after talent no matter the cost.
The Padres selected California high school pitcher Joe Ross with the 25th overall pick.
The younger brother of A’s pitcher Tyson Ross, Joe has a great build and a fastball that has been clocked at 95 MPH. He also throws a curve and changeup, but both pitches need work. The 18-year-old is committed to UCLA and could decide to become a Bruin if the Padres don’t pay up. If he does sign, he’ll have the spacious confines of PETCO Park to look forward to.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)