Jun 6, 2011, 6:52 PM EDT
Marty Caswell of XX1090 in San Diego tells us that Brad Hawpe will make his first start of the season in right field tonight against the Rockies while Jorge Cantu plays first base. Why does this matter?
Well, it could mean that prospect first baseman Anthony Rizzo is a lot closer to the big leagues than we thought. Rizzo, who was acquired from the Red Sox in the Adrian Gonzalez trade this past December, is batting .365/.444/.715 with 16 home runs, 63 RBI and a 1.159 OPS over 232 plate appearance with Triple-A Tucson this season. Whether it’s tomorrow, next week or next month, he’s clearly on the fast track.
Hawpe, of course, primarily played right field before signing with the Padres this offseason, but was generally regarded as one of the worst defensive outfielders in baseball. If the Padres are moving him back to make room for Rizzo, fine, but if they are doing this just to get Cantu some at-bats at first base, Padres fans aren’t going to be very thrilled.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 55
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)