Brian Sabean called Scott Cousins and apologized

Jun 6, 2011, 1:34 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v San Francisco Giants, Game 4 Getty Images

We had statement after statement after statement about the Scott Cousins Buster Posey thing late last week and over the weekend, but maybe, just maybe, we’re reaching the end of the soap opera portion of this story:

Giants manager Brian Sabean and Scott Cousins apparently made peace over the weekend. The Chronicle has learned that Sabean and the Marlins’ outfielder spoke by phone Saturday and had what one person familiar with the conversation described as a “heartfelt and apologetic” talk.

And this may be the last we hear about it, because apparently Joe Torre has ordered everyone to shut up about it. Which is probably the best for all of those folks involved. At least assuming it involves statements about statements and apologies for apologies or lack of apologies or whatever round of his rodeo we’re in now.

And of course, Torre’s mandate probably doesn’t extend to Johnny Bench.  Perhaps he has someone to whom he can offer an awkward non-apology followed by a more heartfelt one. Or vice-versa, depending on which side of things you’re sitting.

1. yankeesfanlen - Jun 6, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Well, didn’t it take ol’ Joe to make everything hunky-dory. Next case!

• Old Gator - Jun 6, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Too bad whoever took that photo didn’t pan back so you could see the barrel of Torre’s pistol being held against Sabean’s head.

2. sonoco - Jun 6, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Cool . . . time to move on.

3. halladaysbicepts - Jun 6, 2011 at 1:48 PM

4. cur68 - Jun 6, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Torre does something useful, thus justifying his existence for the first time in donkey’s years? Way to go Joe (finally!).

5. henryd3rd - Jun 6, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Brian Sabean went way over the top with his comments; but one can understand when one considers that they lost a great young player for the rest of the season. Good catchers don’t grown on trees unless their names are Molina. How many Molina brothers are there playing in the Majors and Minors?

• nyetjones - Jun 6, 2011 at 9:58 PM

I, for one, was a pretty solid catcher back in the day, and I groan on trees routinely. My name is also not Molina, so … QED?

6. thejokewriter - Jun 6, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Holy Crap, finally an end in sight. Stuff happens when you’re playing sports. I was playing racquetball the other day and got hit in the back of the knee with a 100 mph forehand bullet. Can I get an apology from my opponent’s racquet. I mean, it wasn’t a hinder. I was out of the way, and he mis-hit it. The Penn logo is now almost gone from my knee. Where’s my lawyer?

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 6, 2011 at 2:54 PM

I think you need a new name…

7. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 6, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Brian Sabean should have been suspended for his disgraceful comments. MLB took the easy way out letting one of their team’s executives off the hook for the things he said about Cousins, which fanned the flames of hate for the guy.

Yeah, it’s nice that it will likely be all over now, but this doesn’t make up for the fact that Sabean shamed himself, the Giants organization, and MLB as a whole for what he said.

8. lar @ wezen-ball - Jun 6, 2011 at 3:08 PM

I’m kind of disappointed Cousins took the call. He should have refused it and then made another statement saying “we all need to move on so I won’t be accepting Sabean’s apology.” That would have been classy.

• paperlions - Jun 6, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I wouldn’t have blamed Cousins for not taking it. Who wants to hear a coerced apology? I’m a fan of honesty, if you aren’t sorry, I don’t think you should apologize….all you are doing (besides lying) is forcing the other person to take part in the charade and “accept” the apology even though both of you know it is a load of BS.

There is no value in a coerced, insincere act of atonement. None.

9. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 6, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Im glad Sabean manned up. I still think hes a d-bag.

10. Jonny 5 - Jun 6, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Transcript from call.

BS: Yeah, Scott. I guess I’m calling to say I’m sorry after Torre told me I was sorry.
    SC: Yeah, you’re a big fat douche nozzle for saying things like that, my family is worried.
    BS: I know, and although I still wish you would get hit by a Jeep traveling at a high rate of speed, being dragged for a mile from the undercarriage, I wish no harm to you, or your family, even though they made you, you piece of crap.
    SC: Man, that doesn’t sound like an apology at all.
    BS: It is, I’m sorry.
    SC: Okay, Your wife birthed my child you &*%^$^!, I thought she was Erin Andrews at the time, Click.
    BS: Amanda!!!!

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 6, 2011 at 3:29 PM

LOL!!!! Good one, Jonny. Seems to me that Amanda tired of Sabian’s mullet and decided to have a love child with Cousins.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 6, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Yeah, by the sound of that phone record, which must be totally real, I’d say that’s about right.

11. spudchukar - Jun 6, 2011 at 3:38 PM

There once was a catcher named Posey,
    Whose future was oh so Rosy,
    But a play at the Plate,
    Began a Debate,
    That soon became nothing but Prosy.

12. natstowngreg - Jun 6, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Three cheers to Joe Torre for moving things along. And to Johnny Bench for explaining why the play happened as it did.

13. shaggingflies - Jun 6, 2011 at 11:17 PM

I thought Buster Posey was gonna be off the DL before this thing calmed down

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3985)