Jun 6, 2011, 1:34 PM EDT
We had statement after statement after statement about the Scott Cousins Buster Posey thing late last week and over the weekend, but maybe, just maybe, we’re reaching the end of the soap opera portion of this story:
Giants manager Brian Sabean and Scott Cousins apparently made peace over the weekend. The Chronicle has learned that Sabean and the Marlins’ outfielder spoke by phone Saturday and had what one person familiar with the conversation described as a “heartfelt and apologetic” talk.
And this may be the last we hear about it, because apparently Joe Torre has ordered everyone to shut up about it. Which is probably the best for all of those folks involved. At least assuming it involves statements about statements and apologies for apologies or lack of apologies or whatever round of his rodeo we’re in now.
And of course, Torre’s mandate probably doesn’t extend to Johnny Bench. Perhaps he has someone to whom he can offer an awkward non-apology followed by a more heartfelt one. Or vice-versa, depending on which side of things you’re sitting.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)