Jun 6, 2011, 1:34 PM EDT
We had statement after statement after statement about the Scott Cousins Buster Posey thing late last week and over the weekend, but maybe, just maybe, we’re reaching the end of the soap opera portion of this story:
Giants manager Brian Sabean and Scott Cousins apparently made peace over the weekend. The Chronicle has learned that Sabean and the Marlins’ outfielder spoke by phone Saturday and had what one person familiar with the conversation described as a “heartfelt and apologetic” talk.
And this may be the last we hear about it, because apparently Joe Torre has ordered everyone to shut up about it. Which is probably the best for all of those folks involved. At least assuming it involves statements about statements and apologies for apologies or lack of apologies or whatever round of his rodeo we’re in now.
And of course, Torre’s mandate probably doesn’t extend to Johnny Bench. Perhaps he has someone to whom he can offer an awkward non-apology followed by a more heartfelt one. Or vice-versa, depending on which side of things you’re sitting.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 171
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (172)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)