Jun 6, 2011, 1:34 PM EDT
We had statement after statement after statement about the Scott Cousins Buster Posey thing late last week and over the weekend, but maybe, just maybe, we’re reaching the end of the soap opera portion of this story:
Giants manager Brian Sabean and Scott Cousins apparently made peace over the weekend. The Chronicle has learned that Sabean and the Marlins’ outfielder spoke by phone Saturday and had what one person familiar with the conversation described as a “heartfelt and apologetic” talk.
And this may be the last we hear about it, because apparently Joe Torre has ordered everyone to shut up about it. Which is probably the best for all of those folks involved. At least assuming it involves statements about statements and apologies for apologies or lack of apologies or whatever round of his rodeo we’re in now.
And of course, Torre’s mandate probably doesn’t extend to Johnny Bench. Perhaps he has someone to whom he can offer an awkward non-apology followed by a more heartfelt one. Or vice-versa, depending on which side of things you’re sitting.
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 0
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 24
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)