Jun 6, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
General manager Alex Anthopoulos hinted last week that the Blue Jays were close to calling up top prospect Brett Lawrie, with speculation swirling that he could debut over the weekend, but those plans are now on hold thanks to a wrist injury.
Lawrie avoided a serious injury after being hit on the wrist by a pitch Wednesday, excitedly taking to Twitter to tell his followers it was merely a bruise, but he’s been placed on the minor league disabled list anyway.
Because the minor league DL is only seven days, rather than 15 days, Lawrie’s development may not be stalled much at all, but the injury does likely push back his call up to Toronto.
Or as Blue Jays manager John Farrell told Todd Karpovich of MLB.com: “”We just have to be sure we take every precaution with him and make sure he’s completely healthy before he gets back in the game.”
Lawrie, a 2008 first-round pick who was acquired from the Brewers in the Shaun Marcum trade, is hitting .354 with 15 homers and a 1.092 OPS in 52 games at Triple-A as a 21-year-old after Baseball America ranked him as their 40th-best prospect going into the season.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)