Jun 6, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
General manager Alex Anthopoulos hinted last week that the Blue Jays were close to calling up top prospect Brett Lawrie, with speculation swirling that he could debut over the weekend, but those plans are now on hold thanks to a wrist injury.
Lawrie avoided a serious injury after being hit on the wrist by a pitch Wednesday, excitedly taking to Twitter to tell his followers it was merely a bruise, but he’s been placed on the minor league disabled list anyway.
Because the minor league DL is only seven days, rather than 15 days, Lawrie’s development may not be stalled much at all, but the injury does likely push back his call up to Toronto.
Or as Blue Jays manager John Farrell told Todd Karpovich of MLB.com: “”We just have to be sure we take every precaution with him and make sure he’s completely healthy before he gets back in the game.”
Lawrie, a 2008 first-round pick who was acquired from the Brewers in the Shaun Marcum trade, is hitting .354 with 15 homers and a 1.092 OPS in 52 games at Triple-A as a 21-year-old after Baseball America ranked him as their 40th-best prospect going into the season.
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 8
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 59
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 25
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 29
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)