Jun 6, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
General manager Alex Anthopoulos hinted last week that the Blue Jays were close to calling up top prospect Brett Lawrie, with speculation swirling that he could debut over the weekend, but those plans are now on hold thanks to a wrist injury.
Lawrie avoided a serious injury after being hit on the wrist by a pitch Wednesday, excitedly taking to Twitter to tell his followers it was merely a bruise, but he’s been placed on the minor league disabled list anyway.
Because the minor league DL is only seven days, rather than 15 days, Lawrie’s development may not be stalled much at all, but the injury does likely push back his call up to Toronto.
Or as Blue Jays manager John Farrell told Todd Karpovich of MLB.com: “”We just have to be sure we take every precaution with him and make sure he’s completely healthy before he gets back in the game.”
Lawrie, a 2008 first-round pick who was acquired from the Brewers in the Shaun Marcum trade, is hitting .354 with 15 homers and a 1.092 OPS in 52 games at Triple-A as a 21-year-old after Baseball America ranked him as their 40th-best prospect going into the season.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)