Jun 6, 2011, 4:50 PM EST
The last we heard from Dodgers’ shortstop prospect Dee Gordon, he was scoring from first base on a bunt. That was pretty special. Also special: the Dodgers called him up this afternoon.
Gordon, the son of Tom “Flash” Gordon and the Dodgers’ top prospect by most experts’ reckoning, is as fast as they come. He stole 166 bases in 347 minor league games. He is reputed to have great range at short as well, though he’s far from sure-handed. He made 37 errors at Double-A in 2010. He already has 11 at Triple-A this year.
Gordon’s batting line is .315/.361/.370. No power to speak of, even at the altitude of Albuquerque, but he gets on base. As a lefty burner, I’m assuming a bunch of those were infield hits.
Gordon’s callup corresponds with a flurry of other Dodgers moves today: Jay Gibbons and Juan Castro were designated for assignment; Marcus Thames and Blake Hawksworth were activated from the disabled list and Ivan DeJesus Jr. was optioned to Triple-A.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)