Jun 6, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT
The last we heard from Dodgers’ shortstop prospect Dee Gordon, he was scoring from first base on a bunt. That was pretty special. Also special: the Dodgers called him up this afternoon.
Gordon, the son of Tom “Flash” Gordon and the Dodgers’ top prospect by most experts’ reckoning, is as fast as they come. He stole 166 bases in 347 minor league games. He is reputed to have great range at short as well, though he’s far from sure-handed. He made 37 errors at Double-A in 2010. He already has 11 at Triple-A this year.
Gordon’s batting line is .315/.361/.370. No power to speak of, even at the altitude of Albuquerque, but he gets on base. As a lefty burner, I’m assuming a bunch of those were infield hits.
Gordon’s callup corresponds with a flurry of other Dodgers moves today: Jay Gibbons and Juan Castro were designated for assignment; Marcus Thames and Blake Hawksworth were activated from the disabled list and Ivan DeJesus Jr. was optioned to Triple-A.
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 2
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (92)