Jun 6, 2011, 4:50 PM EST
The last we heard from Dodgers’ shortstop prospect Dee Gordon, he was scoring from first base on a bunt. That was pretty special. Also special: the Dodgers called him up this afternoon.
Gordon, the son of Tom “Flash” Gordon and the Dodgers’ top prospect by most experts’ reckoning, is as fast as they come. He stole 166 bases in 347 minor league games. He is reputed to have great range at short as well, though he’s far from sure-handed. He made 37 errors at Double-A in 2010. He already has 11 at Triple-A this year.
Gordon’s batting line is .315/.361/.370. No power to speak of, even at the altitude of Albuquerque, but he gets on base. As a lefty burner, I’m assuming a bunch of those were infield hits.
Gordon’s callup corresponds with a flurry of other Dodgers moves today: Jay Gibbons and Juan Castro were designated for assignment; Marcus Thames and Blake Hawksworth were activated from the disabled list and Ivan DeJesus Jr. was optioned to Triple-A.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)