Jun 6, 2011, 8:25 AM EST
I had a capital weekend. I passed the ten-pounds-lost mark since I got that treadmill, I got some new shirts, we grilled tasty meats twice and I saw the episode of “Firefly” with Christina Hendricks for the first time which, had I been, like, 14 when I saw it, probably would have made a profound impact in my life but at 37 still managed to inspire. How was your weekend?
- There were multiple statements released about the Scott Cousins/Buster Posey thing. I’m still trying to figure out how this turned from a baseball play into a political scandal.
- Albert Pujols is back.
- Jonathan Papelbon is gonna get a call from Joe Torre, methinks.
- Did Jose Bautista really not get a chance to play when he was with the Pirates?
- A boy dies on a Little League diamond.
- We won’t be seeing David Wright for a while.
- Bill Hall got released.
- It’s T.J. for Dice-K.
- The Pirates are expected to take Gerrit Cole with the number one pick in this week’s draft. At least that was the case as of Saturday. This draft stuff confounds and vexes me.
- I’m guessing that the Mets aren’t going to take Chipper Jones’ rebuilding advice, but given that he has owned the Mets for so long — and that he is more positive about the team than the other people who claim to own them — he shouldn’t be ignored either.
- Brandon Belt’s rookie season continues to be an aggravating one for both him and the Giants.
- Phil Hughes has an ETA. Whether the Yankees agree with those estimates are another matter.
- Shelby Miller is in Double-A. Whenever I hear his name I think of Ford Mustangs. Which, strangely enough, never happens when I think of John Shelby, Shelby Foote or other Shelbys. Hmm.
- Shin-Soo Choo is distracted by his DUI. Maybe he and Austin Kearns can form a support group or something.
- Edinson Volquez is coming back. Reds fans in outfield seats: please don helmets for the first inning.
Power Rankings later this morning. To break the boredom we’re doing them a bit differently this week. I hope you approve.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 63
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)