Jun 6, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
I had a capital weekend. I passed the ten-pounds-lost mark since I got that treadmill, I got some new shirts, we grilled tasty meats twice and I saw the episode of “Firefly” with Christina Hendricks for the first time which, had I been, like, 14 when I saw it, probably would have made a profound impact in my life but at 37 still managed to inspire. How was your weekend?
- There were multiple statements released about the Scott Cousins/Buster Posey thing. I’m still trying to figure out how this turned from a baseball play into a political scandal.
- Albert Pujols is back.
- Jonathan Papelbon is gonna get a call from Joe Torre, methinks.
- Did Jose Bautista really not get a chance to play when he was with the Pirates?
- A boy dies on a Little League diamond.
- We won’t be seeing David Wright for a while.
- Bill Hall got released.
- It’s T.J. for Dice-K.
- The Pirates are expected to take Gerrit Cole with the number one pick in this week’s draft. At least that was the case as of Saturday. This draft stuff confounds and vexes me.
- I’m guessing that the Mets aren’t going to take Chipper Jones’ rebuilding advice, but given that he has owned the Mets for so long — and that he is more positive about the team than the other people who claim to own them — he shouldn’t be ignored either.
- Brandon Belt’s rookie season continues to be an aggravating one for both him and the Giants.
- Phil Hughes has an ETA. Whether the Yankees agree with those estimates are another matter.
- Shelby Miller is in Double-A. Whenever I hear his name I think of Ford Mustangs. Which, strangely enough, never happens when I think of John Shelby, Shelby Foote or other Shelbys. Hmm.
- Shin-Soo Choo is distracted by his DUI. Maybe he and Austin Kearns can form a support group or something.
- Edinson Volquez is coming back. Reds fans in outfield seats: please don helmets for the first inning.
Power Rankings later this morning. To break the boredom we’re doing them a bit differently this week. I hope you approve.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)