Jun 6, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
I had a capital weekend. I passed the ten-pounds-lost mark since I got that treadmill, I got some new shirts, we grilled tasty meats twice and I saw the episode of “Firefly” with Christina Hendricks for the first time which, had I been, like, 14 when I saw it, probably would have made a profound impact in my life but at 37 still managed to inspire. How was your weekend?
- There were multiple statements released about the Scott Cousins/Buster Posey thing. I’m still trying to figure out how this turned from a baseball play into a political scandal.
- Albert Pujols is back.
- Jonathan Papelbon is gonna get a call from Joe Torre, methinks.
- Did Jose Bautista really not get a chance to play when he was with the Pirates?
- A boy dies on a Little League diamond.
- We won’t be seeing David Wright for a while.
- Bill Hall got released.
- It’s T.J. for Dice-K.
- The Pirates are expected to take Gerrit Cole with the number one pick in this week’s draft. At least that was the case as of Saturday. This draft stuff confounds and vexes me.
- I’m guessing that the Mets aren’t going to take Chipper Jones’ rebuilding advice, but given that he has owned the Mets for so long — and that he is more positive about the team than the other people who claim to own them — he shouldn’t be ignored either.
- Brandon Belt’s rookie season continues to be an aggravating one for both him and the Giants.
- Phil Hughes has an ETA. Whether the Yankees agree with those estimates are another matter.
- Shelby Miller is in Double-A. Whenever I hear his name I think of Ford Mustangs. Which, strangely enough, never happens when I think of John Shelby, Shelby Foote or other Shelbys. Hmm.
- Shin-Soo Choo is distracted by his DUI. Maybe he and Austin Kearns can form a support group or something.
- Edinson Volquez is coming back. Reds fans in outfield seats: please don helmets for the first inning.
Power Rankings later this morning. To break the boredom we’re doing them a bit differently this week. I hope you approve.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)