Jake Peavy is heading to the disabled list

Jun 6, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT

Jake Peavy

Jake Peavy missed the second half of last season and the first several weeks of this one following shoulder surgery. Since rejoining the White Sox’s rotation, however, he had been pitching pretty darn well, and helping the Sox slowly dig out of the big hole they found themselves in.  Now, however, that’s on hold, as Peavy is likely going to land on the DL today with a strained right groin.

Peavy suffered the injury yesterday against the Tigers, leaving in the fourth inning.  He sounded pessimistic about it after the game, so he’s going to likely be out a bit.
  1. purdueman - Jun 6, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I loved the Jake Peavy trade when the White Sox pulled the trigger on it and I was 100% supportive of Jake as he went through his long back injury rehab, but now even I am starting to have serious doubts as to whether he’ll ever return to be an elite pitcher again.

The White Sox have one of the most highly regarded strength and conditioning coaches in baseball; a guy who even was successful bringing back Bo Jackson when nobody said it could be done. With 10 months of intensive rehab, I certainly expected Peavy to be in top notch physical shape, but this is a girly kind of injury… especially for a pitcher.

• TomTom - Jun 6, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Really? A “girly” type of injury? I thought your insight about the Sox’ S&C was interesting for a moment until I dismissed everything you said because now I can’t take you seriously.

Have you ever had a strained groin before? It is highly painful, and especially dependent on the severity of the strain.

Also, is Rob Dibble doing your typing for you?

2. purdueman - Jun 6, 2011 at 10:58 AM

tomtom… My point is that we’ve all been fed the story that Jake Peavy “worked harder than at any time in his life during rehab”, a rehab that initially lasted 10 months. If any pro athlete does “intensive rehab” for almost a year with state of the art technology, personal trainers and one of the sports best strength and conditioning coaches, wouldn’t you think that his legs would be in tip top shape?

I can see position players who have to sprint to the baseball and run the bases pulling a groin muscle over the course of a 162 game, almost 7 month schedule, yet few do, and even fewer pitchers. That’s my point (and obvious disappointment too).

3. purdueman - Jun 6, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Jake Peavy’s hitting the old DL again, this time with a strained groin muscle as he makes his “J.D. Drew” laps around the DL. His next injury will be:

1) Turf toe;
    2) A painful hang nail;
    3) A strained oblique muscle;
    4) A pulled hamstring muscle;
    5) A strained quad muscle; or
    6) Other

Contestants please submit your pick along with your estimated date and time that the injury will occur. The winning entry will receive an authentic Jake Peavy China Doll.

• ltzep75 - Jun 6, 2011 at 1:15 PM

torn labia.

4. seanmk - Jun 6, 2011 at 11:10 AM

grass:green, sky:blue, peavy:DL

5. micker716 - Jun 6, 2011 at 11:54 AM

It doesn’t matter how intense or effective his conditioning program is, the only way to prepare for the rigors of pitching off a mound in the majors is by pitching. That’s why pitchers and catchers report in February and build up to the regular season for over a month and a half. Especially true for a high intensity, power guy like Peavy.

• purdueman - Jun 6, 2011 at 12:26 PM

micker… you raise the age old debate as to whether pitchers should be required to do a lot of running in between starts. I’m sure that any trainer will tell you that all guys are different, but in Peavy’s case it sure seems to me that if he was doing more running/stationary bike/eliptical intensive workouts he wouldn’t be headed to the DH for something like the 4th time in less than 2 seasons of work.

• tekton8 - Jun 6, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Purdue, do you have any professional/medical expertise in these matters? Because if not (as I suspect), then you really sound foolish commenting as you have on this story. You’re more than welcome to be disappointed that JP is going on the DL, make fun of him all you want, but please stop pretending to know anything about sports medicine and training.

• purdueman - Jun 6, 2011 at 5:25 PM

tek… my background is of no concern to you, nor is it any of your business either.

That said however, I know a hell of a lot about physical therapy and conditioning than I’m sure youi do, as I have licensed professionals in the field right in the family. For example, ALL athletes who depend upon their legs would benefit from regular Yoga. Muscle pulls more often than not come from improper stretching and conditioning. It’s not rocket science.

I’m not “making fun” of Peavy hitting the DL again; I’m just merely pointing out that he now falls into that dreaded category of being a “fragile” player.

6. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 6, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Peavy is inching ever closer to the Mark Pryor, Rich Harden, and Brandon Webb scale of pitching. I would be surprised if he ever regains half of his former dominance.

7. dink53 - Jun 6, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I assumed it was a neck injury from whipping around to watch’s Raburn’s grannie.

All the trade deadline news to know