NL All-Star voting update: McCann passes Posey

Jun 6, 2011, 3:50 PM EST

Brian McCann

Major League Baseball just released its latest results in the NL All-Star voting.  The most notable change: the injured Buster Posey is no longer leading at catcher, having been passed by Brian McCann.  Word on the street is that McCann tried to call Posey to apologize, but that Brian Sabean has taken out a contract on McCann’s life.  Baseball is hard to understand sometimes.

Also: Albert Pujols is no longer the leader in overall voting in the NL, having been passed by Ryan Braun.  This either suggests that (a) the voting results lag by a few days, thereby excluding the fact that Pujols laid the Cubs to waste and salted the earth upon which they tread this past weekend; or (b) the voters aren’t logic-based beings.

All of the other positional leaders are the same from last week.

1. rebarratige - Jun 6, 2011 at 3:58 PM

“Voters aren’t logic-based beings.”

“Calumny!” – Derek Jeter

2. nps6724 - Jun 6, 2011 at 3:59 PM

I hate that it took Posey being injured, but it’s about time Mac got some respect. He’s been the most consistent NL catcher since he debuted hitting-wise and while he’s made the All-Star team every year, he’s never been voted in. This could be his year.

• seeingwhatsticks - Jun 6, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Yeah it’s not like Posey still has a higher WAR for this year or anything.

• nps6724 - Jun 6, 2011 at 4:43 PM

What numbers are you looking at? Fangraphs has Mac at 1.8 and Posey at 1.7 while B-R has Mac at 1.7 and Posey at 1.3.

• seeingwhatsticks - Jun 6, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Actually BR has Posey at 1.3 and McCann at 1.2. I didn’t check Fangraphs.

• nps6724 - Jun 6, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Ah, I see. I read the oWAR number. I always forget B-R separates it out like that.

• seeingwhatsticks - Jun 6, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Yeah, Posey was catching 36% of base stealers (15/42) and McCann is only catching 23% (12/52). I’m assuming that plays some role in the calculations but to be honest I’m not totally sure what goes into calculating WAR, especially for catchers. Just anecdotally though, the Giants pitchers in general aren’t great at holding runners it appears that teams are running a lot more on Whiteside than they ever did on Posey (16%, 3/19). Over his career McCann hasn’t been that great at throwing out runners and even though last year was his career best (30%, 36/120, 129 games) people were running on him more than they ran on Buster (37%, 23/62, 71 games).

• nps6724 - Jun 6, 2011 at 5:24 PM

I wouldn’t say any of the Braves pitchers hold runners too well. Maybe Hudson.

3. skipperxc - Jun 6, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Braun’s been near the very top of the voting every year. And I’m a Brewers fan, so I’m not complaining by any stretch, but really? A top-5 overall guy? I guess I don’t get the national love.

• chrisdtx - Jun 6, 2011 at 4:23 PM

I would imagine it’s because he’s cornered the market on the Jewish vote. Kinsler typically does well, too.

4. halladaysbicepts - Jun 6, 2011 at 4:03 PM

And the American Idol-like popularity contest known as the MLB All Star voting continues…

• rebarratige - Jun 6, 2011 at 4:10 PM

The run-up to the All-Star Game is, like, 10% as bad as a season of American Idol. Point taken, though. The game itself is nice, but it’s best not to consider how these American and National League sausages are made beforehand.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 6, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I’m sure you know my opinion on this by now. Put the voting in the hands of the managers and players like they did a long time ago and the right players will be in this game. I have always believed that being an All-Star is an honor to the player for his accomplishments for the half season and not a spectacle for the fans to make a mockery out of.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 6, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Like the GG award!! Yeah!! Oh wait, they vote for Jeter too. Dang, almost had it.

• paperlions - Jun 6, 2011 at 4:45 PM

When in the world did the idea that having a good 1/2 season made one a legitimate candidate for the AS gave arise? That is one of the worst of misapplications of concept in sports.

And, no the players/managers would not pick a merit-based team, it would still be a popularity contest (or more likely a “reputation of greatness” contest).

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 6, 2011 at 5:00 PM

paperlions,

I have no idea why I’m reponding to you as I said to myself I would not anymore, but I will try to explain in simple terms what an All-Star game is:

First, did you ever play baseball, on any level in your life? An All-Star game, in baseball, is supposed to award a particular player for their personal accomplishments in the first half of a year.

For example, I played baseball up until my junior year in highschool. I was a decent player in highschool, as well as playing on traveling teams before highschool. I would receice a call from my coach that I was an all-star on a few occasions. Let me tell you, that was the greatest feeling that I ever had. An athlete loves to get recognized for their accomplishments WHEN deserved. This voting was done by the managers of other teams I played against that knew the game, could not vote for their own players, and therefore were not biased.

It would not be a popularity contest. If you believe managers and players do not know what fellow players in their league are having a good year, your clueless.

But, hey, I’m not insulting anyone anymore on this board. It’s not worth my time and I just want to discuss baseball.

5. sdelmonte - Jun 6, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Wow. People are actually not voting for someone because he’s injured. I can’t recall the specifics, but there seem to have been a number of times that didn’t matter.

• kopy - Jun 6, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Joe “I’ve played 8 games this year” Mauer is the #2 catcher in AL voting behind Russell Martin.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 6, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Fo Shizzle!!

6. kopy - Jun 6, 2011 at 4:13 PM

The positions they play have a lot to do with it, I think. In my opinion, it’s easier to say Pujols isn’t the number 1 first baseman than to say Braun isn’t one of the top 3 outfielders. If someone doesn’t vote for Braun, they’re choosing 3 other OF, while someone who doesn’t go with Pujols may favor someone like Votto or Fielder.

This is probably the reason Braun is #1, and not some logic flaw, although All-Star voting is logic-flawed.

• nps6724 - Jun 6, 2011 at 4:16 PM

I’ve never understood why every position but OF is separate. LF are different from CF who are different from RF. Let’s say Braun, Ethier, and Berkman all get voted in as starters. Who plays CF? Whoever it is, they’re gonna be terrible. Might as well let us vote in a 2B to play SS or a 1B to play 3B.

• kopy - Jun 6, 2011 at 4:21 PM

True story. I suppose MLB is pretty complacent with this because terrible defense makes the game more “exciting”, or something like that. I don’t follow more than a few teams closely, but it seems to me that teams tend to keep their 3 outfield spots pretty consistent, and only switching sides on days off. I don’t think it would be too difficult to enforce LF/CF/RF on a ballot, especially if we get to an online-only ballot at some point.

• nps6724 - Jun 6, 2011 at 4:24 PM

The only times I see starters swap around is if another starter is out and the backup needs to be in a certain spot. But overall, they stay put.

7. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 6, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Nice to see a little realism out there (at least for NL catcher). McCann is a good choice. I am wondering if Hosmer will get the Royals spot on the team. Although you could make the argument no one from the Royals deserves to be on the team!

8. spudchukar - Jun 6, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Currently: McCann OPS=.843 Molina OPS=.832 and the Cards have a lot of home games between now and the end of the voting process in which they could cast their ballots for the game’s best defensive catcher.

9. juade - Jun 6, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Don’t you worry, folks! Yadier will come streaking up to win the starting NL backstop spot…for some reason…again. No offense, but jeez-o-peet. Sure, Brian’s a little slower behind the dish, but his bat and clutch-hitting are unparalleled in the NL.

• spudchukar - Jun 6, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Juade, First off I am a McCann fan, and will champion his cause as a NL backstop. However, I happen to be of the opinion that the starting positions should be manned by those most deserving THIS year, and the rest of the squad made up of a combination of performance and reputation. In the past Molina has been a distant second to McCann offensively, and the same can be said for their defensive acumens only conversely. Both are clutch hitters, and always have been. My position is simply that currently Molina is having just as fine a year offensively as McCann, and since he is superior defensively, he deserves the starting nod.

• nps6724 - Jun 6, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Molina deserves the nod this year, but then Mac deserved it in ’09 when Molina started. And if he does make it over Mac, at least it’ll be someone deserving instead of someone who just won a popularity contest.

But on the other hand I do think it’s great that Mac has gotten in every year he’s been a starter without being voted in. Because those spots are chosen by managers and/or players.

• juade - Jun 6, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Cheers chukar, and I agree. Always dug Yadier and his cannon, just thought that in years past Brian got passed over and it unnerved me a bit. I suppose that All-Star selections don’t mean what they used to, so I should take it with the proverbial grain of salt.

10. ddjesus - Jun 7, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Ryan Braun: .309/.402/.564
    Albert Pujols: .278/.353/.473

Just sayin’.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2719)
  2. W. Myers (2453)
  3. C. McGehee (2071)
  4. D. Ross (2047)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1925)
  1. J. Shields (1806)