Jun 6, 2011, 11:36 AM EDT
We heard a few months ago that Steve Garvey was interested in owning the Dodgers if (read: when) they are eventually put up for sale. I sort of laughed that off because, well, it’s Steve Garvey. When he played it was said that he wanted to be the governor of California one day. And then he ends up doing infomercials. That reach for the stars/stay far too close to Earth dynamic seems to describe Garvey pretty well.
But at least one person who is seen as somewhat more serious about things is going in with Garvey: Orel Hershiser, who said yesterday that he was joining Garvey’s little would-be Dodgers investment group.
I guess this is all interesting. But I also can’t help but think it’s a lot of show. That people with real money — more money than ex ballplayers of Garvey and Hershiser’s vintage have — are the people who really move deals, and that ex-ballplayers are really there for the P.R. that could possibly make any given ownership group look more attractive and approvable to Major League Baseball.
Unless you really think that someone like Steve Garvey is able to personally wrangle a billion dollars or more to buy the Dodgers and serve as the actual head of the operation — which I don’t — I would see both him and Hershiser as team ambassadors than as actual owners, and would expect their personal equity stake in any ownership group to be so low as to border on rounding error.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 23
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 41
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)