Orel Hershiser is interested in joining Steve Garvey’s hypothetical bid for the Dodgers

Jun 6, 2011, 11:36 AM EDT

Orel Hershiser

We heard a few months ago that Steve Garvey was interested in owning the Dodgers if (read: when) they are eventually put up for sale.  I sort of laughed that off because, well, it’s Steve Garvey. When he played it was said that he wanted to be the governor of California one day. And then he ends up doing infomercials. That reach for the stars/stay far too close to Earth dynamic seems to describe Garvey pretty well.

But at least one person who is seen as somewhat more serious about things is going in with Garvey: Orel Hershiser, who said yesterday that he was joining Garvey’s little would-be Dodgers investment group.

I guess this is all interesting.  But I also can’t help but think it’s a lot of show. That people with real money — more money than ex ballplayers of Garvey and Hershiser’s vintage have — are the people who really move deals, and that ex-ballplayers are really there for the P.R. that could possibly make any given ownership group look more attractive and approvable to Major League Baseball.

Unless you really think that someone like Steve Garvey is able to personally wrangle a billion dollars or more to buy the Dodgers and serve as the actual head of the operation — which I don’t — I would see both him and Hershiser as team ambassadors than as actual owners, and would expect their personal equity stake in any ownership group to be so low as to border on rounding error.

1. natstowngreg - Jun 6, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Sounds about right.

Just wondering, has there been any other retired MLB player in recent times who has done what Nolan Ryan has done with the Rangers? That is, bought a stake in a team and become the guy running things.

2. joecool16280 - Jun 6, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I couldn’t care less about Garvey or Oral attempting to “buy” the Dodgers but the more I read articles from HBT (PFT as well) it seems like a lot of the writers just look to mock old and current players. Aren’t you guys supposed to be fans to begin with? It’s fine and refreshing for a comedic slant from time to time but to me it seems like most of the content is written with an agenda to mock…no matter what the subject is.

• Old Gator - Jun 6, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I agree. It’s a despicable trait that taints far too much of contemporary journalism and the commentary that dogs it. Dignity and probity above all, I say.

Meanwhile, Garvey has plenty of kids who can help him run the team on the cheap. And he’s still sort of photogenic after all these years. And maybe by now he’s got a vasectomy. I don’t see any problems with his ownership.

3. Vincent - Jun 6, 2011 at 12:24 PM

“if (read: when)”

I like that, haha.

4. spudchukar - Jun 6, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Full Disclosure: I hate the Dodgers. I didn’t always, during the Koufax/Drysdale years, but the Garvey/Hershheiser reigns turned me to loathing. The notion that they could become partner owners is okay by me. It is cathartic to have a team in which I can hold in utter contempt, especially on days when the Red Birds lose; I can always see if the Bums did likewise and pursue life knowing that it hasn’t been a totally bummer day.

5. jwbiii - Jun 6, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Well, maybe if the play a bunch more day games.

Three legends off to Cooperstown