Jun 6, 2011, 4:19 PM EDT
No official move yet, but Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies will place center fielder Dexter Fowler on the disabled list with a sore abdomen and call up Charlie Blackmon from Triple-A.
Blackmon may get a chance to replace Fowler in center field, but he’s played primarily right field this season after being an everyday center fielder at Single-A and Double-A. Colorado could shift Carlos Gonzalez from left field to center field, where he started 55 times last year.
After producing solid numbers in the lower minors Blackmon has hit .337 with 10 homers and a .965 OPS in 58 games in the hitter-friendly environment at Colorado Springs. Fowler has taken a step backward offensively for the second straight season, hitting just .238 with a .688 OPS while being thrown out on six of eight steal attempts.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 1
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 37
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 118
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (118)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)