Jun 6, 2011, 4:19 PM EST
No official move yet, but Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies will place center fielder Dexter Fowler on the disabled list with a sore abdomen and call up Charlie Blackmon from Triple-A.
Blackmon may get a chance to replace Fowler in center field, but he’s played primarily right field this season after being an everyday center fielder at Single-A and Double-A. Colorado could shift Carlos Gonzalez from left field to center field, where he started 55 times last year.
After producing solid numbers in the lower minors Blackmon has hit .337 with 10 homers and a .965 OPS in 58 games in the hitter-friendly environment at Colorado Springs. Fowler has taken a step backward offensively for the second straight season, hitting just .238 with a .688 OPS while being thrown out on six of eight steal attempts.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)