Jun 6, 2011, 4:19 PM EDT
No official move yet, but Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies will place center fielder Dexter Fowler on the disabled list with a sore abdomen and call up Charlie Blackmon from Triple-A.
Blackmon may get a chance to replace Fowler in center field, but he’s played primarily right field this season after being an everyday center fielder at Single-A and Double-A. Colorado could shift Carlos Gonzalez from left field to center field, where he started 55 times last year.
After producing solid numbers in the lower minors Blackmon has hit .337 with 10 homers and a .965 OPS in 58 games in the hitter-friendly environment at Colorado Springs. Fowler has taken a step backward offensively for the second straight season, hitting just .238 with a .688 OPS while being thrown out on six of eight steal attempts.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 0
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 178
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 138
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 38
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (188)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (139)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)