Jun 6, 2011, 4:19 PM EDT
No official move yet, but Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies will place center fielder Dexter Fowler on the disabled list with a sore abdomen and call up Charlie Blackmon from Triple-A.
Blackmon may get a chance to replace Fowler in center field, but he’s played primarily right field this season after being an everyday center fielder at Single-A and Double-A. Colorado could shift Carlos Gonzalez from left field to center field, where he started 55 times last year.
After producing solid numbers in the lower minors Blackmon has hit .337 with 10 homers and a .965 OPS in 58 games in the hitter-friendly environment at Colorado Springs. Fowler has taken a step backward offensively for the second straight season, hitting just .238 with a .688 OPS while being thrown out on six of eight steal attempts.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)