Struggling to play through shoulder injury, Luke Scott gets cortisone injection

Jun 6, 2011, 12:47 PM EDT

Scott_Luke

Luke Scott has remained in the Orioles’ lineup despite being diagnosed with a torn labrum in his right shoulder early last month, but he’s hitting just .151 in his last 17 games and Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com reports that Scott got a cortisone injection yesterday.

According to Ghiroli he could be back in the lineup as soon as today, although given his struggles there’s really no reason for the Orioles to rush him back.

Buck Showalter indicated that shutting down Scott could be an option if he can’t get on track:

Only Luke really knows because he’s not giving it up very much, at least not to me, and I talk to him about every day in some form or fashion. He’s a tough guy. He’s going to try to play through it and we’re hoping this injection kind of frees it up a little bit. If not, then what you’re talking about is something that we might revisit.

Scott, who had a career-year in 2010 and then made headlines for his comments about Barack Obama’s birth certificate, is earning $6.4 million this season and will be arbitration eligible again in 2012.

I’d normally make some joke about needing to see proof of the torn labrum, but I suppose the .151 batting average is pretty solid evidence even by Scott’s lofty standards.

1. Jonny 5 - Jun 6, 2011 at 1:06 PM

How do you like being locked in here with me now game reserve “hunter” ????

• Jonny 5 - Jun 6, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Well that’s at least how I picture the injury going down anyway…..

• cur68 - Jun 6, 2011 at 2:20 PM

If only that really was Luke Scott getting the tar wailed out of him by a buck. Funniest thing I’ve seen in ages.
        And hey, now I know; elk urine tastes bad. No need to do any practical experiments on that one, now is there. What a maroon…

• Jonny 5 - Jun 6, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Now I’ll be the first to stick up for hunters. Just not game reserve “Hunters”. But yeah, I love that video. Bambi’s revenge if i say so myself.

• dprat - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:51 AM

Damn, Jonny, thanks for sharing that. Very stupid people meet angry deer… hijinks ensue. Hilarious! Thank god she had the presence of mind to keep the camera rolling, even though she thought he was being killed. Lucky man to have a wife with such a commendable focus on the task at hand.

2. pestiesti - Jun 6, 2011 at 1:20 PM

As you can see this is a change of approach for Scott:

“My labrum is my friend,” he says. “I give him a hard time. The reason why I give him a hard time is because there are certain connective tissues you deal with and you go up and talk to them, and it doesn’t work. They don’t understand. … I tell him about some of the ways he’s acted: ‘Look, you’re acting like an adipose tissue, you’re acting like a bone.’”

“Here are my lipids to remind him that whenever he acts like an adipose tissue, ‘Hey, that’s what other people are thinking. They’re just not telling you, but that’s what they’re thinking about. And I’m telling you so that you’re aware of that so you can make a cognitive decision to not behave like that.’”

• Utley's Hair - Jun 6, 2011 at 1:27 PM

This is my rifle, this is my gun….

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5402)