Jun 6, 2011, 2:17 PM EDT
Brett Anderson was on his way to a breakout sophomore campaign last year when elbow problems ended his season on June 5 and the 23-year-old southpaw’s elbow is barking again.
Joe Stiglich of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Anderson has left the A’s on their East Coast road trip and is heading back to California to have his sore elbow examined by doctors.
Anderson began the season with a 2.84 ERA through 11 starts, including eight shutout innings against the Angels on May 26, but he’s given up 15 runs in two outings since then and Stiglich notes that his velocity was down last night versus the Red Sox.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 13
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 17
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 9
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 59
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (111)