Jun 6, 2011, 1:24 PM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez threw 60 pitches in a bullpen session yesterday and Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Astros now expect him to come off the disabled list when eligible next Monday.
He’ll first have to avoid a setback with his elbow injury while making a rehab start Wednesday at Double-A, but Levine writes that he’ll likely be limited to 50-60 pitches in that outing.
Rodriguez said after the bullpen session that he “felt great” and “didn’t have any problem.”
Top prospect Jordan Lyles took Rodriguez’s spot in the rotation and pitched well in his debut, but the 20-year-old former first-round pick struggled yesterday versus the Padres and seems likely to be sent back down when Rodriguez returns.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 31
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 7
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 213
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)