A.L. All-Star balloting update: Teixeira and Gonzalez are neck and neck

Jun 7, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT

Mark Teixeira Getty Images

Major League Baseball has announced the latest in the A.L. All-Star balloting and the most interesting voting race is at first base, where  Mark Teixeira and Adrian Gonzalez are neck and neck. Teixeira has 1,333,445 votes. Gonzalez has 1,268,706.

Otherwise it’s all the same as it was last week, with Yankees holding just about every position. Josh Hamilton has an outfield slot. David Ortiz is the leader at DH.

And someone please tell me why Joe Mauer is in second place at catcher. Dude has played, what, nine games?

1. ryanmallettsbluntwrap - Jun 7, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Why is Joe in second place ? Lets be honest , the all star starters are somewhat a joke , you can vote something like 30 times per email address , so there is some losers that will sit at home make 15 yahoo email accounts and vote 450 times .

Player A : BA .258 – OBP .365 -RBI 41 – HR 18 – HITS 55 – OPS 914

Player B : BA .339 – OBP .383 RBI 50 – HR 12 – HITS 83 – OPS 951

Thats pretty clear who the better player is .

2. cur68 - Jun 7, 2011 at 6:06 PM

All star voting is a joke. The way its set up it can be so rigged, I’m not even bothering. I submit Mauer as # 2 in voting into evidence.

More to the point of these posts though; how do you guys do it? The right picture for a given post. I mean just look at Tex up there. Could there be a more goofy looking shot of someone with as much presence as he has? Tex almost never looks like he’s lost his cool or is even mildly discombobulated and here you go and find a shot of him apparently belching after a big mac while fielding. Nice.

• The Rabbit - Jun 7, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Ut oh, Cur. You may be correct regarding the picture; however, you are tempting the wrath of rabid Yankee fans. You may be saved by the clock, though. You’ve posted this just about the start of tonight’s game and they’ll miss it.

To answer Craig’s question, I’ll pose another question: Is the All Star Game a reward for three good months, a reward for the previous year’s achievements, or a lifetime award for a player who has been popular and hopefully good, too?
      The answer depends on who is voting. Add a large rabid fan base with no objectivity and a lot of voters who aren’t real fans of the game and vote name recognition (not much different than politics, actually) and you get these kinds of results, i.e., Mauer in second place.

(A large rabid fan base: Yeah, Len, I’m talking to you and I wish you had benched Boesch for Swisher this week as you considered. Good thing I had Cliff Lee and he pitched well.)

I love Tex and he’s a great example. Tex generally gets off to a slow start but by the end of the season, he’s a premier first baseman. If this is a 3 month reward, he shouldn’t be in the top 4. Gonzalez, Miguel Cabrera, Prince Fielder, and Paul Konerko have been better. This is actually pretty tough because all of these guys are very good.

I love me some Albert and he’s another good example. Albert has been very unAlbert until the past couple of weeks. If you are voting for the position based on three months, Joey Votto is the no-brainer and Gaby Sanchez should be the number two. You can make a case that the number 3 is Houston’s first baseman, Wallace. However, I’m one of those who doesn’t view the All Star Game as a three month statfest. So, if I were queen and had to choose two NL first basemen (with all due respect to Sanchez), it would be Votto and Pujols.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 7, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Careful, I can multi-task. I fuess I’m just pulling a Torre, talk moves I never make.
        Cur, are your dogs quiet? Better check the door…..

• cur68 - Jun 7, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Ones licking his nethers in front of the window (why must he embarrass me so?) and the other’s under my chair, so yes, very quiet. If you plan to drop off any more over the hill Yankees, feel free to use the slew out back; the moose like company and they are not particular. If you do come by, you can drop Minka off with me. I’ll look after her real good…

• The Rabbit - Jun 7, 2011 at 7:32 PM

@cur-Len will not drop “over-the hill” Yankees. As he told me, he wants his whole fantasy team to consist of Yankees. I’m playing him H2H this week and wish it were. Unfortunately, he has some very good non-Yankees in his lineup, even if he can’t admit it.
        @Len-LOL I know you can multitask. You’ll be even more deadly when you get the router. Nah,you weren’t being Torre. You just couldn’t let yourself lose the match. BTW- Are there any OTH Yankees besides BeepBeep?

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 7, 2011 at 7:46 PM

rabbit- of course there’s more- Grumpy, who now at first due to Tex’s HBP and something like 0 for 22,397 vs. righties, and a prematurely aged and senuile FAT TOAD. Better hear some noise from Andruw Jones tonight, too.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 7, 2011 at 7:55 PM

cur-
        Will be arriving with Garcia soon. Brought a fresh box of pig ears- do the moose like them too?

• The Rabbit - Jun 7, 2011 at 8:22 PM

@Len-I forgot all about Grumpy but I’m sure it’s selective memory. I drafted him with the idea that he had catcher eligibility but would be DHing and get more AB’s. Unfortunately, after the first week or so when they were reasonably good AB’s, he sank quickly to his current level.
        And the Toad is not OTH. He never even reached the hill.

• cur68 - Jun 7, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Rabbit, Len; you 2 sure you’re Yankee fans because frankly that’s some plain spoken Yankee assessment there. Sure Len. Bring the pigs ears. If the moose don’t like ‘em the mountain lions, bears and crazy trappers will. Hey, hang on to Garcia. He’s wiley and sly; he’ll bounce this thing back and your boys will get another 2 or 3 good starts out of him yet IMO.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 7, 2011 at 9:51 PM

cur-
        Of course I’m a Yankee fan. No question about it, and want the BEST players money can buy, and definitely know the team has that. Poor performance, though, makes me cranky. This year we’re not at our best paying tribute to Beep-beep which going back to the 50s at least (reference a SS called Scooter) was not our usual policy.
        Sure, we’re always going to have excellent players not hitting for a while, but proven liabilities destroy our circular lineup.
        Something telling is I took Reyes in the second round of my fantasy team. I wonder if you can guess who I picked first.
        Rabbit just likes baseball generally- nothing wrong with that.

• cur68 - Jun 7, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Y’know, I also tend to just like baseball in general, too. I pay attention to about a dozen teams at once in AL & NL, and could easily waste the whole day on this website talking malarkey about baseball. It never seems to get old.

Oh, hey, just remember when you select first the ‘a’ comes before the ‘u’ in ‘Bautista’ :)

I wish the Jay’s had the kind of budget The Universe enjoys. We’d get us some Albert and some Prince and some Reyes and then we’d pwn the division. Dreams, just dreams…

• The Rabbit - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Hi cur,
        As Len pointed out, I’m a baseball fan first, then a player fan. I’ve lived a lot of places and never felt the need to wrap myself in team fandom. (He and I actually discussed this yesterday. I don’t understand how reasonably intelligent people can lose all perspective, objectivity, and civility when it comes to a sports team….and no, I’m not talking about Len. Is this behavior DNA hardcoded into some people?)
        I grew up in Phillies territory and followed them and the Mets. The Mets were highly entertaining in the 60’s when I was child. When I got older the followed the Braves on TBS. Loved the great pitching.
        Now, I watch everything: 2 computers, 3 monitors, and TV. Of course, I have no life during the summer except baseball. :-)

3. scatterbrian - Jun 7, 2011 at 6:10 PM

“And someone please tell me why Joe Mauer is in second place at catcher.”

Because fans vote.

4. boxchain - Jun 7, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Matt Wieters may not be hitting 70 HRs but he is arguably the best defensive catcher in the league. He’s thrown out 15 base stealers and made one error. He needs to be voted in IMO.

5. deathmonkey41 - Jun 7, 2011 at 6:41 PM

What the hell- why isn’t Jorge Posada’s name atop those lists??? BTW, once again Craig selects a really unflattering pic of a Yankees player to head his story. I wonder if his bosses even ask him to feign impartiality every once in a while?

• Craig Calcaterra - Jun 7, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Once again deathmonkey41 gets his panties in a bunch that someone may not like his team as much as he does. I wonder if his parents even ask him to grow up every once in a while.

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 7, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Craig- I’m amused by it- it really doesn’t bother me, dude. I’ll take the two WS victories the Yanks have over the Braves and you can post all the silly pics of Yankees players your heart desires. It’s a fair trade, IMHO.

• marshmallowsnake - Jun 8, 2011 at 12:18 PM

BTW Craig…that is a great picture. That is how I view Tex looking when he walks down the street…

• marshmallowsnake - Jun 8, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Aww…is deathmonkey41 gonna cry?

6. deathmonkey41 - Jun 7, 2011 at 7:19 PM

And besides, Craig- despite your poor taste in baseball teams, I read HB Talk almost everyday, so apparently I am a fan!

7. shaggylocks - Jun 8, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Let’s talk about Jorge Posada bringing up the #3 slot at DH. Really? Posada’s the 3rd best DH in the AL?

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS