Jun 7, 2011, 3:47 PM EDT
Of course, it might be a moot point anyway, as Ramirez is making $14.6 million this season with a $16 million option or $2 million buyout for 2012.
Toss in his measly two homers and .394 slugging percentage in 52 games and it’s hard to imagine any contenders being interested unless the Cubs basically eat the entire contract.
Kinzer noted that Ramirez “took less years and less money to stay in Chicago, so that is definitely his first option.” However, that’s a bit of a moot point as well, since there’s zero chance of the Cubs picking up his $16 million option for next season anyway. Ramirez is all but certain to leave Chicago after the season, so the question is whether he’s willing to leave a couple months earlier.
Apparently not, although Kinzer did say that the Cubs haven’t broached the topic yet.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)