Andy Pettitte: “I don’t think I will ever pitch again”

Jun 7, 2011, 10:47 AM EST

New York Yankee Andy Pettitte Announces Retirement Getty Images

While appearing on Michael Kay’s radio show yesterday Andy Pettitte made it very clear that he has no plans to come out of retirement, saying: “I don’t think I will ever pitch again.”

Pettitte added that he’s “not dying to be playing baseball right now” and is “absolutely loving being home.”

He left the door open just slightly, basically giving a “never say never” answer when pressed further, but also explained that “I’m not playing baseball this year” and “I’m committed to my family, I’m where in my heart I need to be.”

Pettitte retired at age 38 after going 11-3 with a 3.28 ERA in 21 starts for the Yankees last season.

1. Jonny 5 - Jun 7, 2011 at 10:54 AM

I’d stay retired if I were him as well.

2. uyf1950 - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Thanks for the good times Andy Pettitte. At least you knew when it was you time.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Getting a little snide there, uyf. I like it!

3. drakost - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Now if only all athletes could retire as graciously as Pettitte has. If you think about it, he is an oxymoron… A Classy Yankee. (Sorry couldn’t help myself)

• dirtyharry1971 - Jun 7, 2011 at 10:47 PM

and you are just a moron, nothing oxy about it

4. smarterthangirardi - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:30 AM

well this is depressing….woulda been sooooo exciting if he made a comeback during the stretch run this year…oh well

5. Chipmaker - Jun 7, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Competitively, sure. But when the marketing guys who put together the guest list for Yankees Old-Timers Day call and tell him what’s in the goodie bag along with the free weekend in NYC, he’ll be on the mound again. Every year.

6. bobwsc - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:46 PM

next stop: Clemens perjury hearing.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5361)