Jun 7, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
Brad Lidge had been pitching in extended spring training down in Clearwater, but he’s on his way back to Philly now due to a setback: elbow soreness.
You’ll recall that the reason he’s on the DL in the first place is a strain of his rotator cuff in his right shoulder, so this is a new problem. Not a terribly worrisome one to the Phillies yet, however, because Charlie Manuel and Ruben Amaro are saying that it’s a common thing. Maybe an overcompensation injury? They’re going to check him out today, however, to see what’s what.
While that may mean that it’s a while before Lidge is back in action, his role has been filled quite nicely by Ryan Madson, who is 12-for-12 with a 0.64 ERA in save situations. Madson will remain the closer no matter what happens with Lidge, so the implication here is late season bullpen depth more than anything.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)