Brad Lidge had a setback

Jun 7, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT

lidge getty Getty Images

Brad Lidge had been pitching in extended spring training down in Clearwater, but he’s on his way back to Philly now due to a setback: elbow soreness.

You’ll recall that the reason he’s on the DL in the first place is a strain of his rotator cuff in his right shoulder, so this is a new problem. Not a terribly worrisome one to the Phillies yet, however, because Charlie Manuel and Ruben Amaro are saying that it’s a common thing. Maybe an overcompensation injury?  They’re going to check him out today, however, to see what’s what.

While that may mean that it’s a while before Lidge is back in action, his role has been filled quite nicely by Ryan Madson, who is 12-for-12 with a 0.64 ERA in save situations. Madson will remain the closer no matter what happens with Lidge, so the implication here is late season bullpen depth more than anything.

1. halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Every Phillies fan knows that Lidge is done. No pitcher can ever be effective again with a torn rotator cuff. Hell, position players are never the same again when they tear their rotator.

Thanks Lidge for 2008. But, stick a fork in him, he’s done.

We have Madson now, baby!!! Mowing them down and taking no prisoners.

2. Jonny 5 - Jun 7, 2011 at 1:07 PM

“Maybe an overcompensation injury?”

Due to signing 8 million dollar checks?

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Lol!!! Spot on.

Since 08′, the guy was never the same. Shame. Had the perfect save season, and sh*t since.

Good thing about Lidge was that he is a class guy all the way. Nicest guy you’d ever want to meet.

Unlike the scumbag/rat known as Billy Wagner.

3. xmatt0926x - Jun 7, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Phillies fans aren’t exactly clamoring for his return. I guess he would add bullpen depth but at this point in his career he will not be a shut-down guy no matter what inning he pitches. He’s now limited to being a junk balling soft tosser. My worry is that Manual will continue to throw him out there no matter what out of loyalty and it may cost them a few games before they stop using him in close games. The division might be too close this year to write off 2 or 3 games out of misplaced loyalty.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 1:14 PM

No worries. I don’t think that he will come back. I think he’s done for this year, and maybe done career-wise. Torn rotator cuffs are no joke.

If he comes back, there is no way in hell he becomes the closer again. There would be a mutiny in that clubhouse if that happens. Charlie’s loyal, not stupid.

4. SmackSaw - Jun 7, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Good.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Yeah, I agree. It’s is good news. Anything else?

• bleedgreen - Jun 7, 2011 at 1:40 PM

I don’t wish harm on him, and hope him all the best, but yeah, not having him is the best thing for the Phils right now, and probably from now on.

• SmackSaw - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Anything bad that happens to Philadelphia is good. That’s what.

• SmackSaw - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Yeah. You can’t spell bicep.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:29 PM

What else do you think about Philadelphia, SmackSaw? Please, enlighten us?

• Utley's Hair - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Wishing ill on another person is just so mature.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 7, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Good what? Good that he’s hurt? Good that he’s hurt again/more? Good the the Phightins are kinda forced to move on and look in a different direction? Please inform.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 2:23 PM

SmackSaw is a loser Dodgers fan. I destroyed him in the Davey Lopes thread, so he decided to come to the Lidge thread as payback.

• spindervish - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Yeah, that’s what happened.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:19 PM

spindervish,

You speak the truth.

• SmackSaw - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:44 PM

I don’t like the Phils. I don’t like the Eagles. I don’t like the Sixers. I don’t like Joe Frazier.
        I do appreciate the Broad Street Bullies, however. Oh, Rocky Balboa is OK. I like Pat’s over Geno’s. That’s about it.

• SmackSaw - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Wishing ill on another person is just so mature.

Coming from a Phillie fan? LOL!! That’s rich.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Thanks for your input, SmackSaw. We can all sleep better now.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:10 PM

“Coming from a Phillie fan? LOL!! That’s rich.”

How about expounding on that?

• Utley's Hair - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:14 PM

And Pat’s and Geno’s both suck. Jim’s is way better.

5. Jonny 5 - Jun 7, 2011 at 2:06 PM

He makes a good ROOGY to go with our LOOGY.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 2:16 PM

I just spit out a LOOGY a few minutes ago. It was refeshing. As I was doing so, Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee apeared to me in the form of a mist. I bowed before them in awe and told them how good there were. They nodded to me in agreement then vanished as quickly as they came.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 7, 2011 at 2:18 PM

JC Romero? How’d he taste? ewwww…

And you better stop leaving Cole out of your fantasies as he is to be worshiped as well.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 2:26 PM

JC Romero tasted like what he pitches like, sh*t!!!

I never forget about the Hamels. Best ace besides Halladay this year.

However, only Halladay and Lee appeared to me in the mist. I think Cole was busy getting it on with Heidi. And who could blame him?

• Jonny 5 - Jun 7, 2011 at 2:35 PM

LOL!

6. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 7, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Did I actually read a fellow Phillies fan write something to the effect that “2 or 3 games” could cost the Phillies the division? Seriously? When are the Phillies fans going to realize that every single thing that happens this season is in preparation for October? Look, I’m not going to be so brash as to say the Phillies are a lock to win the World Series, because as last year proved, anything can happen in a short series against an inferior team. But to say that over a 162 game stretch that anybody in the NL Least has even a prayer to keep up with the Phillies, you are really kidding yourselves. As I wrote in a previous thread, but I’ll repeat it here because it is pretty important…as brutal as the Phillies offense has been this year, and believe me, it has been absolutely awful, there are three things that are certifiable facts…

1) The Phillies have the best record in baseball

2) The Phillies are 4 games ahead of the Braves and the Marlins

3) MOST IMPORTANTLY…the Phillies have scored more runs this year than the Braves AND the Marlins. I repeat…the Phillies have scored more runs than the Braves and the Marlins.

With the Phillies pitching being what it is, the fact that they have scored more runs than both of their NL Least competitors, both of whom are 4 games back, should be all the solace any Phillies fan needs to feel comfortable until October.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Chris, really…we are not going to start this again, are we?

I’m assuming this is directed at me, correct?

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Nope, just checked and it was mattx who said the division might be too close to lose 2 or 3 games because of Lidge. However, if you agree with that notion, then yes, it is directed at you too ;)

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:17 PM

No. Not at all, Chris. Lidge doesn’t factor into the equation this year.

All I say (and I think you know my thoughts towards this team by now) is that I look at each series they play and give my thoughts on their play for that series. Losing those four games in a row was tough. 2 series in a row, no less.

I want this team to be a dynasty!!!! We need another World Series ring, my friend. But, I can’t think in those terms. I don’t even want to think playoffs.

All I want to think is about the journey of the 162 game schedule and for our aces TO STAY HEALTHY!!!!!

• bleedgreen - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Agree with health! If theres a game where we’re 6 runs up in the 4th, pull the starter. Let someone come in for mop up. Stutes has looked downright studly.

• SmackSaw - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:47 PM

The aces won’t stay healthy. They’re too old. The Phillies best shot at another title was last year. That window has closed.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:53 PM

SmackSaw,

Did you like how we dismantled the Dodgers in 08′ and 09’? It felt pretty good to me.

Did you like the feeling? Did you?

7. cup0pizza - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Phillies fan scumbags in abundance in this comment section, as usual.

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3393)