Jun 7, 2011, 10:28 PM EDT
After being shutout 4-0 by the Orioles earlier tonight, the Athletics have now lost eight consecutive games. Could things get even uglier soon? Well, maybe.
According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, Brett Anderson will soon get a second opinion on his left elbow from Dr. James Andrews.
Anderson underwent an MRI with a team orthopedist today, but the Athletics want to get Andrews’ opinion before drawing any conclusions about a course of action. Of course, visits to Dr. Andrews don’t always result in surgery, but the natural concern is that Tommy John surgery could be in his future.
Anderson was placed on the 15-day disabled list earlier today with left elbow soreness. The 23-year-old left-hander is 3-6 with a 4.00 ERA and 61/25 K/BB ratio over his first 13 starts this season. He signed a four-year, $12.5 million extension with the Athletics last April that includes club options for 2014 and 2015.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)