Jun 7, 2011, 10:28 PM EDT
After being shutout 4-0 by the Orioles earlier tonight, the Athletics have now lost eight consecutive games. Could things get even uglier soon? Well, maybe.
According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, Brett Anderson will soon get a second opinion on his left elbow from Dr. James Andrews.
Anderson underwent an MRI with a team orthopedist today, but the Athletics want to get Andrews’ opinion before drawing any conclusions about a course of action. Of course, visits to Dr. Andrews don’t always result in surgery, but the natural concern is that Tommy John surgery could be in his future.
Anderson was placed on the 15-day disabled list earlier today with left elbow soreness. The 23-year-old left-hander is 3-6 with a 4.00 ERA and 61/25 K/BB ratio over his first 13 starts this season. He signed a four-year, $12.5 million extension with the Athletics last April that includes club options for 2014 and 2015.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 15
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 101
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 159
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (159)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)