Jun 7, 2011, 8:20 AM EDT
Check out the home run that Nats’ prospect Bryce Harper hit last night. Specifically, check out the way he stopped to admire it and the kiss he blew to the pitcher when he crossed home plate:
Yes, he’s young. But there’s no excuse for that kind of thing. Even someone who cares as little about the unwritten rules as I do has to appreciate that Harper is being disrespectful here. That pitcher is trying to do his job. He didn’t get $16 million to tide him over as he tries to get through the minors like Harper is.
Maybe he gets away with that kind of thing in A-ball. But if he doesn’t learn a bit of humility at some point on his journey to greatness, he’s going to get his ribs broken.
UPDATE: I have a more considered, extended take here.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)