Jun 7, 2011, 8:20 AM EST
Check out the home run that Nats’ prospect Bryce Harper hit last night. Specifically, check out the way he stopped to admire it and the kiss he blew to the pitcher when he crossed home plate:
Yes, he’s young. But there’s no excuse for that kind of thing. Even someone who cares as little about the unwritten rules as I do has to appreciate that Harper is being disrespectful here. That pitcher is trying to do his job. He didn’t get $16 million to tide him over as he tries to get through the minors like Harper is.
Maybe he gets away with that kind of thing in A-ball. But if he doesn’t learn a bit of humility at some point on his journey to greatness, he’s going to get his ribs broken.
UPDATE: I have a more considered, extended take here.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 7
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)