Jun 7, 2011, 8:20 AM EST
Check out the home run that Nats’ prospect Bryce Harper hit last night. Specifically, check out the way he stopped to admire it and the kiss he blew to the pitcher when he crossed home plate:
Yes, he’s young. But there’s no excuse for that kind of thing. Even someone who cares as little about the unwritten rules as I do has to appreciate that Harper is being disrespectful here. That pitcher is trying to do his job. He didn’t get $16 million to tide him over as he tries to get through the minors like Harper is.
Maybe he gets away with that kind of thing in A-ball. But if he doesn’t learn a bit of humility at some point on his journey to greatness, he’s going to get his ribs broken.
UPDATE: I have a more considered, extended take here.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 48
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 38
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 47
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)