Jun 7, 2011, 8:20 AM EDT
Check out the home run that Nats’ prospect Bryce Harper hit last night. Specifically, check out the way he stopped to admire it and the kiss he blew to the pitcher when he crossed home plate:
Yes, he’s young. But there’s no excuse for that kind of thing. Even someone who cares as little about the unwritten rules as I do has to appreciate that Harper is being disrespectful here. That pitcher is trying to do his job. He didn’t get $16 million to tide him over as he tries to get through the minors like Harper is.
Maybe he gets away with that kind of thing in A-ball. But if he doesn’t learn a bit of humility at some point on his journey to greatness, he’s going to get his ribs broken.
UPDATE: I have a more considered, extended take here.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)