Jun 7, 2011, 8:47 AM EDT
A funny thing happened yesterday: Carlos Zambrano‘s Sunday rant about the Cubs being “embarrassing” went over really well with Cubs fans. Seemed Zambrano said something that they needed someone else besides themselves to say. That this outfit is playing poorly and needs to get better.
As such, Zambrano didn’t apologize generally for his comments. He did apologize to Carlos Marmol, who he had singled out, and Marmol said it was all behind them. He wasn’t fined or disciplined by the Cubs either. Mike Quade talked to Zambrano in his office, but he comments afterward — people blow things out of proportion — suggest that he either didn’t have a problem with Zambrano’s words or else he read the tea leaves properly and decided that having a problem with them wasn’t the right play in the current environment.
So alls well that ends well. Now, if the Cubs could just figure out how to break this losing streak.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 36
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 41
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)