Jun 7, 2011, 8:47 AM EDT
A funny thing happened yesterday: Carlos Zambrano‘s Sunday rant about the Cubs being “embarrassing” went over really well with Cubs fans. Seemed Zambrano said something that they needed someone else besides themselves to say. That this outfit is playing poorly and needs to get better.
As such, Zambrano didn’t apologize generally for his comments. He did apologize to Carlos Marmol, who he had singled out, and Marmol said it was all behind them. He wasn’t fined or disciplined by the Cubs either. Mike Quade talked to Zambrano in his office, but he comments afterward — people blow things out of proportion — suggest that he either didn’t have a problem with Zambrano’s words or else he read the tea leaves properly and decided that having a problem with them wasn’t the right play in the current environment.
So alls well that ends well. Now, if the Cubs could just figure out how to break this losing streak.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17