Carlos Zambrano apologizes to Carlos Marmol, but no one else; stands by his words

Jun 7, 2011, 8:47 AM EDT

Zambrano_Carlos

A funny thing happened yesterday: Carlos Zambrano‘s Sunday rant about the Cubs being “embarrassing” went over really well with Cubs fans. Seemed Zambrano said something that they needed someone else besides themselves to say. That this outfit is playing poorly and needs to get better.

As such, Zambrano didn’t apologize generally for his comments. He did apologize to Carlos Marmol, who he had singled out, and Marmol said it was all behind them.  He wasn’t fined or disciplined by the Cubs either. Mike Quade talked to Zambrano in his office, but he comments afterward — people blow things out of proportion — suggest that he either didn’t have a problem with Zambrano’s words or else he read the tea leaves properly and decided that having a problem with them wasn’t the right play in the current environment.

So alls well that ends well.  Now, if the Cubs could just figure out how to break this losing streak.

1. paperlions - Jun 7, 2011 at 8:54 AM

This seems right to me. The only thing about Z’s comments that were inappropriate to me was singling out Marmol, ripping on the team’s play in general seemed appropriate, accurate, and possibly necessary.

Everybody says they want fiery guys that care rather than emotionless JD Drew types. Well, sometimes those guys emotion get the best of them when there is a microphone around.

• spudchukar - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Ditto. Marmol is a lot like Zambrano, only more talented. He has saved his bacon more than once. The Cubs are embarassing, it’s just that they have been that way for some time. And occasionally Zambrano has caused some of the blushing.

2. halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Craig, I love it. Yesterday, when he threw the team under the bus, you posted an angry picture of Zambrano. Now that he apologized, you post a happy Zambrano picture. I didn’t think a picture like this existed of him.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 7, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Must of been after he signed his contract.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Lol! You’re probably right. Doesn’t even look like the same guy.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 7, 2011 at 9:15 AM

So, what is going on today ‘bicepts? Good to see Lee get back on track last night. Offense still struggling, but I’m starting to see some signs of positive things to come.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Morning, Doctor. Yeah, Lee looked like the Lee of old last night. Didn’t watch the game but listened to it on the radio. Every once and a while I need a break from the McCarthy/Wheel/Sarge TV fiasco and enjoy Franske/Andersen.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 7, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I actually like Wheels. Maybe it’s because I don’t close the Pharmacy until 8 and always miss the first 3-4 innings so I only get to listen to 3 innings of Wheels. Not a fan of McCarthy. Tough spot taking over for HK, though.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Yeah. I like Wheels too. Many people in Philly don’t like him though because they say he’s too analytical. I think because sometimes people feel he’s talking over their heads. But I like him because he knows the game of baseball as much as anyone. I like when he breaks down a given play.

It’s McCarthy and Sarge that I cannot stand. McCarthy calls the game like he’s on radio. And Sarge….there is too much for me to type to show my disdain for the man.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 7, 2011 at 10:46 AM

That’s funny, because Wheels gets on my nerves for the very same reason you state. I’m annoyed by his analysis, not because it’s over my head, but because he’s often wrong and instead of saying it, tries to explain away why what he said was still right. Even though it wasn’t. Last night for example, I had to switch off when he started saying how Lilly had no interest in swinging and he doesn’t even try to hit, blah, blah, blah.. So Lilly had to have heard him and nailed a liner that luckily landed just foul, and continued to make Lee pitch to get him out. It was then that I tried the ESPN broadcast for awhile, which was worse sad to say. 20 minutes later I was back to Wheels and McCarthy. In retrospect I guess they aren’t too bad, though 1210 WIP is playing often while I watch the game.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Yeah, Jonny, I understand your point. I guess it is just preference.

The only thing about watching the game with the volume turned down and listening to 1210 is that they are out of sync. Drive me nuts.

If you can get to a radio or stream online (don’t know if you can workwise or if you are off), Charlie Manuel live at Ponzio’s today from 12:00 to 1:00 today on 610WIP.

3. Jonny 5 - Jun 7, 2011 at 9:17 AM

” Now, if the Cubs could just figure out how to break this losing streak.”

Well in two more days they get a shot against Kyle Kendrick in Philly. It’s a 4 game series in Philly. Good luck.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 7, 2011 at 9:21 AM

The Phillies brass said they weren’t sure if Kendrick was going to make that start. Hopefully not.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 9:34 AM

You didn’t hear about Kendrick? The Phillies Phanatic took him hostage, locked him in the basement of CBP, and won’t release him until he learns how to throw another pitch.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 7, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Hell, I would settle for him learning to keep what he calls a sinker down.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3960)