Cubs, Red Sox to make “It Gets Better” videos

Jun 7, 2011, 1:30 PM EST

It gets better

On the heels of the San Francisco Giants’ well-received “It Gets Better” video, which is part of a national anti-bullying campaign aimed at helping gay youth, two more teams are going to join in the fun as well: the Chicago Cubs and the Boston Red Sox. The Red Sox’ announcement was inspired by a petition by a 12-year-old buy from New Hampshire, who set it all up when his teacher asked the class to come up with a project that could make a difference in the world, which is pretty damn cool.

I would assume that, at some point, most if not all professional sports teams will make a video for the campaign, either out of genuine support for the idea or because they don’t want to be seen as the only teams not supporting the idea.

In this instance, however, I kind of don’t care what inspires it seeing as though it is the targets of the video — a kid who needs to know that, well, things will get better — who matter, not the producers as such.

1. spudchukar - Jun 7, 2011 at 1:42 PM

New Cubs Slogan: “It gets better, cause it can’t get any worse”.

• paperlions - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Some of gay youth of Chicago should make an “it gets better” video for the Cubs players, those guys could use the support and encouragement.

2. Jonny 5 - Jun 7, 2011 at 2:04 PM

While 40 -60 “LGB” teens commit suicide annually, around 4000 non “LGB” teens commit suicide annually as well. So while this is a good thing and seems to focus in one direction, this is a big problem that applies to everyone, not just the “LGB” community.

• thefalcon123 - Jun 7, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Yeah, it’s like how everyone was in an uproar because Black people were getting lynched…but white people got killed sometimes too! Yet, nooooooooooo, we only had to focus on it when black people got killed. I tell ya, minorities and LGB folk have everyone catering to their every whim, don’t they?

(sarcasm)

• Jonny 5 - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Uhh yeah…… I guess you missed the point and decided I was a bigot.

• fivetoolmike - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:34 PM

The point goes beyond suicide, although LGB*T* teens commit suicide in disproportionately high numbers, to a larger concern of LGB*T* teens experiencing disproportionately higher levels of harassment both in and out of school that can lead to a lot of other things besides suicide. Lots of people grow up in bad situations, and, yeah, it’d be great to send a message to all teens that “it gets better” (which this arguably does), why even use this as an opportunity to point out that not just gay kids commit suicide? I think that’s why you were being called out.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:45 PM

My point was that it’s a much bigger problem than one for the “LGB” community. It’s everybody’s problem. And that’s basically what I said above. If people want to stretch it to mean something else, well that’s THEIR issue, not mine. I am aware they may get more bad attention than the next person, but no more than the “nerdy” kid with the tape on his glasses will. Or the person who’s too poor to afford sneakers that aren’t brand names will. As children anyway, the adult world is much different of course..

And why wouldn’t I use a thread about a program focused on stemming suicide as an opportunity to bring up the fact that this problem is a nation wide problem that goes beyond sexual preferences, race, or religion? I see it as a perfect opportunity to bring it up actually.

• fivetoolmike - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:18 PM

And that’s why I usually ignore your comments. Your use of “sexual preference” indicates a belief that sexual orientation is in some way chosen. I could point you to copious research that refutes that position. If I’m incorrect in attributing that belief to you, then I would suggest using a less loaded term, such as sexual orientation, because some people would read “preference” as inflammatory. And while the “It Gets Better” project was born in the wake of some highly publicized gay teen suicides, the message is more broadly one of hope for all LGBT youth, even those who aren’t contemplating suicide.

I have some issues with the project, but my problem with your argument is that by mentioning factors of youth suicide that are not the focus of this campaign, you’re undermining it. The facts are these: it’s a lot harder to give every underprivileged child a new pair of shoes than it is to send out a message of encouragement to LGBT kids, and the number of kids who commit suicide for not having the right shoes is a lot lower, in proportion, than the number of kids who commit suicide for not being straight.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Nope, not undermining anything. I fully support it. Go pick apart someone elses’ every word and try to stretch it into an argument. All I’m saying is this is a huge problem that is a problem for everyone, not just homosexuals. You are telling me what I mean. Really? Hmmm? have fun with that.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Oh, and please. Continue ignoring my posts, by all means.

Sorry, left that out, and please don’t take this to mean I dislike you or anything, I know how you might just read it that way.

• fivetoolmike - Jun 7, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Congrats on your cousin’s wedding.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:48 PM

I’ll stand in J5’s corner here…but bear with me for a sec. I disagree with J5. I think this is a group of people who have been the most recent victim of ritualistic, often political, intolerance and bigotry. Given this fact, there will and should be a backlash of positive pro-gay/lesbian messages out there and it should be mainstream. I don’t agree that this should be rolled into an anti-teen suicide thing as a whole. I think it will have a bigger message the way it is; predominately to gay youth but also to the intolerant peers and/or parents that spread the hate. It says to the haters, “look you have no legs to stand on b/c the majority of th population says it’s okay or cool to be super duper gay. Thus you haters are the outliers and should change or shut the hell up.” Having the MLB embrace this is huge for the gay community b/c they are obviously mainstream. The message is that much louder.

What I won’t stand for as a long-time HBT reader and commenter is the statement that Mr. J5 is bigoted (in so many words). Nonsense. Come around again and read a little more. He’s a Phils fan, which is terrible and almost inexcusable, but he’s a good guy from what I’ve read so let’s keep it civil.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Well thanks ya big jerk (braves fan). I wasn’t prepared to defend myself as I thought I was clearly supporting this but would like to see MLB teams address this more broadly. But that doesn’t say in any way that I’m intolerant or bigoted unless you want to read it that way. It seems some people may look for someone to lash out at, I don’t know. When I attend my cousins wedding this summer where she is the Groom and her long time girlfriend is the bride this whole pile on Jonny5 thing will make me laugh actually. For now it’s just kinda dumb and worthless to waste any more time on.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:14 PM

One obvious question must be asked: why is your cousin the “groom”? Is this her choice? How are these things figured out? Also, I will be crashing.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Hey, that’s her deal (i never asked), but she does wear the pants. Literally. Her GF has carried 2 children for them and always wears dresses. I was told my cousin would be wearing the tux. And that makes sense to me.

• fivetoolmike - Jun 7, 2011 at 5:26 PM

I’m here reading (if not commenting) almost every day, my friend. I don’t think he’s bigoted, but we’ve had similar discussions in the past.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 7, 2011 at 5:36 PM

I was referring to the other comment, fivetoolmike. I’ve seen ya around these here parts fer quite some time [hat tip].

• cur68 - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Hey before an of you jump all over Jonny for being in favor of more initiatives against teen suicide I’d like to see some you go after the overtly intolerant and bigoted first. Why start with Jonny 5 when their are guys saying stuff on this very post that could WAY more easily be construed as intolerant slurs or just flat out ignorant? Where were you all on the various things said about Posey? Pretty weak to twist up what 5 is saying here.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Well Cur, no one has any good excuses yet as to why I should be ashamed of what I said. Maybe some people aren’t as tolerant as they claim to be? That’s all I can figure.

• cur68 - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:23 PM

effed if I know wassup, man. You’d think you’d said something hurtful about gay people. I agree with the sentiment; teenagers, gay, straight or into knotholes, shouldn’t be hounded to death for being different. I fail to see where the harm is in this message.

I’m not the Blog Monitor, nor do I wish to be perceived to be, but some of the other things said on this very post (and others) warrants WAY more hostility than anything you’ve written. I’d like to see some of these quick-to-be-offended people say some stuff about THAT before they start with you.

3. deathmonkey41 - Jun 7, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Is Pedroia going to be the spokesperson?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Is this to insinuate Pedroia is gay? Just tryin’ to figure out where you’re coming from…wouldn’t want to jump to conclusions.

4. 18thstreet - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Tom Yawkey is surely rolling over in his grave. Good.

It does get better.

5. sdelmonte - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:14 PM

I just love that a 12 year old kid was behind the movement in Red Sox Nation. There is hope for the future, even if some of us old coots stand in the way of tolerance.

6. ronjon77 - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Now that Varitek, Pedroia and Ellsburry have come out, I wonder who will be next? It is definitely getting better, good job.

7. halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:56 PM

The Bicepts stands back and looks at this thread from afar. The Bicepts will not touch this thread with a thousand foot pole.

• cur68 - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:39 PM

The ‘bicepts flatters himself over the size of his pole.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I think I liked the old infuriatingly off-base Bicepts better. He didn’t talk in the third-person and literally act holier than thou. Not to mention, you totally ‘touched’ the thread by posting when you could have not said anything at all. Yeah, the old Bicepts was better….barely.

• paperlions - Jun 7, 2011 at 5:03 PM

He didn’t say it was his pole.

• cur68 - Jun 7, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Hey, I try not to judge; a man’s pole is a man’s pole, regardless of who or what it’s attached to. Just don’t be braggin’.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:48 PM

The Bicepts has learned when to keep quiet and when to throw the heymaker. Just sit back in my wake and learn a thing or two from the master.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 7, 2011 at 5:15 PM

To quote the immortal words of Chris Fiorentino. You sir, are a Master Baiter!

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 5:24 PM

El Bravo,

Touche.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 5:27 PM

El Bravo,

I think you owe drmonkeyarmy an apology, as well. He did not take too kind to your comments yesterday. He’s a good poster.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 7, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Give me a twitter address and I’ll be glad to tweet a picture of my junk to him. I’ll also be sure to scribble “I’m scrotey…I mean sorry” on the lower right one.

You both can’t take my humor so instead you will take my vitriol each time you call me out and misinterpret me.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 5:53 PM

El Bravo,

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Dude, I love humor. If you see most of my posts, I love to dish it out. Actually, I even like your humor, believe it or not. I actually get a kick out of reading some of your posts. You actually have a decent intelligence. I can read it in your writing.

All I am saying is that the Doctor wasn’t appreciating it.

8. ingebritsen - Jun 7, 2011 at 5:49 PM

I’m a big Cub fan…and this is easily the best Cubs-related news I’ll be getting all year. Probably next year, too.

Seriously, it’s nice to see this catching on.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester