Davey Lopes misses Philly; isn’t crazy about the mess in L.A.

Jun 7, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT

Los Angeles Dodgers Photo Day Getty Images

Dodgers first base coach Davey Lopes liked it in when he coached in Philly but, as was suspected at the time and as he said in an interview upon his return to Philly yesterday, the Phillies just didn’t want to pay him what he thought he was worth.  Despite this, however, he has fond memories of his time in Philly and even a couple of moderate digs at his current circumstances:

“I have nothing but great memories of this ballpark, and the fans, I consider the best in baseball. The intensity level coming into the ball park every day, I miss that tremendously. As you’ll see when you go to LA with the empty seats. They’re something you’re not used to seeing in L.A. Neither am I …”

He went on about the situation in L.A., rendered weird by the ownership drama:

“It’s been good, yeah. But it’s different. It’s not like what I remember. Put it that way … It is what it is, for now. We’ll see what happens in the near future.”

I hate the phrase “it is what it is,” but it should almost always be understood as “it sucks, but there’s not a hell of a lot I can do about it right now.”

1. halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Can you blame Davey Lopes? He went from a city of winners to a city of losers. He wanted more money from the Phillies than they wanted to pay him and the brass told him it’s a privilege, not a right, to play for the best franchise in baseball and dropped him like a cheap suit.

Davey, it sucks to be you. You should have taken what the Phillies offered you. Oh, well.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jun 7, 2011 at 12:11 PM

It sucks to be your mom. Carrying a kid for 9 months only to have him grow up into a complete ass.

But, hey, more power to you.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Thank you, sir. I appreciate it.

• cur68 - Jun 7, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Yeah, I feel bad for him too. Once the Dodgers get out from under Mc-Broke and his family he’ll be happier, I bet. Hang in there Davey (and you too ‘bicepts). We can’t all make the right the decisions, say the right things, or have the best outcomes but being a better person than those around you is always the right thing to do.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 2:31 PM

The Bicepts doesn’t need any solace from you. I’m an American, citizen of the greatest country in the world, Cur68.

2. deathmonkey41 - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:18 AM

I feel bad for Donny Baseball. He wanted the Yankees job, but he just wasn’t ready yet. Now he’s stuck in that disaster. But hey, there’s only 30 jobs like that out there to get, I guess you need to take what’s available and hope it looks good on your resume for a better one later on.

3. SmackSaw - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:29 AM

He should join Garvey and Hershiser. Buy back the Dodgers and return to the glory days. I wish all sports would revert to 1975.

4. andrebeingandre16 - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:29 AM

davey should just hold on for a few more months until we get a new owner in place. only then will the dodgers be great again.

5. Jonny 5 - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:39 AM

It won’t be long before LA can’t afford to pay him at all. Davey we miss you, you shoulda stayed.

“I started feeling it last night when we flew in,” Lopes said. “You see people walking around in downtown Philly saying Hey Davey, how you doing, sorry to see you’re not back with us. Like I said, it’s a little emotional. The four years I had here were as great as you could possibly have it. To see how this club and this organization grew to be, if not the best, then they have to be in the top three in the game of baseball, organizational wise, from top to bottom. Everything they do, from top to bottom, first class all the way. I kind of miss that.”

Man, nice pot shot at your new boss to round it all up.. Ballsy.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Sounds like to me that this guy wants to get the hell out of that city as quick as he can. He’s just collecting a paycheck from them. Lol!!!

Why do you think Bowa got out of there? Mattingly wanted Bowa back, Bowa said no thanks and got a job with MLB and local radio work instead. Lol!!!!

• Jonny 5 - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Bowa and Torre actually. Torre couldn’t even wait until the season was over.

• SmackSaw - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Bowa got canned because Bowa speaks the truth.

6. koufaxmitzvah - Jun 7, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Here’s a novel concept. Fans and employees speaking up against the worst owner in sports.

Laugh all you want. MLB is scared of losing their fans in LA, and right they should be. That’s called power, people.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Are you serious? MLB is scared of losing their fans in LA? You guys can’t even fill your own stadium to 50% capacity.

Your city has such weak sports fans that they couldn’t even support a football franchise. Your city barely supports the LA Kings because of attendance figures.

L.A. is a laughable sports city and everyone knows it. Now, go back with your 10,000 fans, do the wave and throw beach balls around in the stands.

• Amsterdamned - Jun 7, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Bicepts, do you actually research anything before you spew that idiocy from your fingertips? 10,000 fans? Before this whole debacle the Dodgers were routinely one of the top attendance draws in baseball and regularly topped 3 million in attendance each year. They aren’t doing that this year because of that asshole McCourt and the place he’s put the team in. When he’s gone and the team isn’t a damned joke the team will go back to over 3 million a year.

Here, take a few dollars from the money Frankie borrowed to make payroll this month and buy yourself a clue.

• SmackSaw - Jun 7, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Bicep(t)

The stupid is strong with you.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 12:43 PM

SmackSaw,

The baseball force is strong with this one. You are learning, my Padawan.

• dbrown23lak - Jun 7, 2011 at 1:36 PM

You dont live in LA, there is a boycott of Dodger games. I’ve been to four games for free, but i park outside the staduim, which means I walk about a mile, and dont buy anything at the Staduim. I Will not support the McCourt’s. They will not make a penny on me this season, and there are plenty of people who feel that way out here.

As for the Kings (my name is after the captain of course). This is a basketball city, last year the Kings still managed to sell out 35 of 41, while the Lakers sold out every game, and the Clippers attendence was way up as well.

Oh yeah and the Beach balls suck, i agree with you on that. I pop them. Thats the one thing that bugs me, go to the beach in LA and you wont see any beach balls, go to a Dodger game and there front and center.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 7, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Wait a minute…a boycott consisting of people still going to the games? So the attendance numbers are still there?

7. SmackSaw - Jun 7, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Weak L.A. fans? Kings fans are the most rabid, loyal fans in the city. They consistently sell out. Lakers fans pay huge amounts of $$ to attend games. Even with $350 nosebleed seats they sell out. Dodger fans hit the 3.5 million in attendance annually. The NFL left because the teams got screwed over by being promised real estate (Rams) and new stadiums with sweetheart deals(Raiders). It had nothing to do with fans. L.A. has sunshine almost year round and LOTS of money.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Your right. LA does have a lot of money, thanks to all of the government handouts from Pelosi.

• SmackSaw - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:54 PM

My right what?

• koufaxmitzvah - Jun 8, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Pelosi is from NorCal.

It’s not a good thing going through life fat, drunk, and stupid.

8. xmatt0926x - Jun 7, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I too was taken aback by the statement by Lopes yesterday. Not the love for Philly but his obvious dislike of his current bosses and the absolute downright steel balls to say it. “1st class fdrom top to bottom..I kind of miss that”. Wow. I’m guessing Frank McCourt won’t be having Davey over for this weeks poker game?

9. kcq101 - Jun 7, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Any truth to the rumors or suggestions that the Phillies low-balled Lopes after his leaking of Chase’s knee injury during June of last season?

It seems petty and hard to believe. I hope it’s not the case.

In any event, its refreshing to hear his sentiments, though bittersweet for him.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3525)