Jun 7, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Denard Span‘s collision at the plate with Royals catcher Brayan Pena didn’t look like much Friday night and he was able to play yesterday, but the Twins’ center fielder is now out of the lineup and will head back to Minnesota to have his dizziness examined.
Span chose to slide hard into Pena rather than reenact the Scott Cousins–Buster Posey incident by running the catcher over, yet even after avoiding a bigger collision he told reporters that he’s been “foggy” since and is “definitely scared.”
Span is the latest in a seemingly never-ending string of injured Twins, as Joe Mauer, Jim Thome, Jason Kubel, Tsuyoshi Nishioka, Delmon Young, Francisco Liriano, Joe Nathan, Glen Perkins, Kevin Slowey, Jose Mijares, and Jason Repko have all spent at least one stint on the disabled list.
And one of the few regulars who hasn’t been on the shelf, Justin Morneau, has been in and out of the lineup with neck problems after spending eight months on the sidelines following a concussion. Similar to Morneau’s situation last year Span’s dizziness is particularly worrisome because he missed time with vertigo in 2009. He’s been the Twins’ best player all season.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 77
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (214)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)