Jun 7, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
Richard Sandomir has a story on the background of the Mets’ new minority and possible future majority owner, David Einhorn. It’s all worth reading because it gives you a sense of what makes the guy tick, but the lede is interesting to me.
Seems Einhorn — who grew up in Milwaukee — was interested in buying the Brewers when they were last for sale, but got interested too late in the game to bid against eventual owner Mark Attanasio. That missed opportunity led him to contact Bob DuPuy of Major League Baseball to begin conversations about the path it takes to get into the baseball ownership world. Those talks, one presumes, helped bring him into Major League Baseball’s good graces, thereby making his buy-in to the Mets a lot smoother.
But it also makes me wonder if the Mets aren’t his last stop on the ownership superhighway. Though he has denied it often, people talk about how Mark Attanasio — who is from L.A. — could one day buy the Dodgers. If that were to happen, wouldn’t it be obvious that Bud Selig would want to ensure that his former team — the Brewers — weren’t left in bad hands? And, if Selig were to help Einhorn into the Brewers’ ownership seat, wouldn’t he also then save his friends the Wilpons from being taken over by Einhorn in a couple of years, hopefully after their present financial peril has passed?
Yes, I just made that all up. But it kind of fits, no? And it’s not like Selig hasn’t orchestrated a little ownership musical chairs game before.Baseball: if you pursue that plan, all I ask is a shoutout at the press conference.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)