Jason Kendall takes “a huge step” in post-surgery comeback

Jun 7, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT

Colorado Rockies v Kansas City Royals

Jason Kendall took what he called “a huge step” in his recovery from shoulder surgery, participating in live batting practice yesterday for the first time since going under the knife in September.

Kendall’s throwing program has progressed to 100 feet and Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that he could be cleared for a minor-league rehab assignment by the end of this month.

Kendall hasn’t played in a game since August 30 of last year and hit just .256 with a .615 OPS prior to being shut down, but the Royals’ current catching duo of Matt Treanor and Brayan Pena haven’t been a whole lot better than that with a .224 batting average and .665 OPS this season.

Kansas City is paying the 37-year-old catcher $3.75 million this season as part of a two-year, $6 million contract.

1. spudchukar - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:33 AM

That must have been some kind of bionic surgery on his arm cause he never could throw 100 ft. before.

• cur68 - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Maybe he got the Colonoscopy Stem Cell Procedure on his shoulder? Turned Fat Bart into a cannon.

• spudchukar - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Could be, anything is possible these days. I recently got a shot into my eyeball that contained colon shrinking steroids used to remedy cancer patients.

• cur68 - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Never heard of that one Spuddy. I’ll have to keep an eye out for it . . . what you expected me to leave that alone did you? Hell no, man. Not after your crack about “Chicks no longer dig the Long Ball?” over at the Citi Field post. I gotta do something when the competition is this stiff.

• spudchukar - Jun 7, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Actually it was meant for you, but I am disappointed that you hadn’t heard of it. Gotta be a joke in there somewhere, “My eye is better, but when I blink…”

Incidentally, I had a choice, either the larger molecule steroid shot-$50.00
        Smaller-$2000.00

• cur68 - Jun 7, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Not to make light of your eye troubles (holy disingenuous comment Batman!) but, uh, “Chicks no longer dig the Molecule?”

Seriously though; this sounds like a gazillion light years out my league. My dad just had cataract and lens replacement surgery and I had no idea what was going on. He was so disappointed that all I could offer was “smoke marijuana; keeps your inner eyeball pressure down”. He’s gone back to 20/20 vision and now only uses glasses for reading. I hope your eye troubles are over. Injections in the eyes sound painful. If BC were around he’d say “Ow”.

• spudchukar - Jun 7, 2011 at 2:18 PM

It was painful, but it helped a lot. Supposed to reduce swelling behind the retina. But, yeah, it hurt. The Ophthamologist asked me if it was painful and what it felt like? I told him it felt like someone just jabbed a needle into my eye.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3742)