Jim Leyritz wrote a book

Jun 7, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT

Jim Leyritz

I wouldn’t want to read a book written by Jim Leyritz even if hadn’t been involved in an accident that resulted in someone’s death, so you can be more sure of anything in the universe that I won’t be reading a book written by Jim Leyritz that focuses on that tragic accident. Someone disagrees, however, because they published the thing:

Leyritz, now the pitching coach of the Newark Bears under manager Tim Raines in the independent Can-Am League, has written a book about his life, including the fatal accident and his journey through the legal system. It’s titled “Catching Heat” and was co-authored by Douglas B. Lyons and Jeffrey Lyons.

I have basic human empathy for just about everyone who goes through trouble in this world. Leyrtiz included. But there’s a difference between empathy and interest.  I link it because maybe someone feels differently and wants to hear about it all, but for my part, I’ll wait for a more uplifting story to come along.

1. halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:05 PM

I agree with you, Craig. Empathy, yes. Interest in reading it, no. Kind of morbid, if you sit back and think about it. Profiting over someone else’s tragedy…?

2. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I wonder if the profits from this book will go the his victims family or even a charity of some kind?

• nixonotis - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:44 PM

The “victim” was also driving drunk, drunker than Leyritz if I remember correctly. I believe he already lost a civil case and paid the family a fair sum of money.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jun 7, 2011 at 5:07 PM

I didnt know that. Was that the reason he was found innocent on the criminal counts?

• jhorton83 - Jun 8, 2011 at 2:16 PM

He was found innocent of the manslaughter part of the charges. The reason why was indeed that she was also heavily intoxicated at the time, so there was no way to prove who was ultimately responsible for the accident. Just two drunk drivers hitting each other and unfortunately one of them died.

3. Jonny 5 - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I can’t wait to read the whole “woe is me” story myself…. The poor fella. Oh wait, he actually lived through the accident in which he was drunk driving and probably caused, much unlike the other person involved.

• nixonotis - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:42 PM

I’m not defending the guy, he was driving drunk after all, but wasn’t the woman that died drunk as well? Wasn’t it also proven in court that she was at fault for the accident and therefore Leyritz wasn’t guilty of vehicular manslaughter?

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM

What’s a book and where’s the motion-sensitive controller?

5. jeffa43 - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:45 PM

How is he out of jail? If you or I got drunk, got in a car, and killed someone…

We would be in jail for life.

Dude is profiting from a tragedy he produced. Pathetic.

6. CliffC - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:59 PM

I was given this book by the publisher a few months ago, haven’t even thought about cracking it open. Assume I will read it at some point, just because it’s there, but not at the top of the list.

7. terrytball12 - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:11 PM

I have read Leyrit’z book and it is very interesting. It is not all about the car accident he was in (that is only 1-2 chapters) and is not morbid at all. The book is really about making it to the majors, trying to stay there, family struggles, and finding strength in God when the odds are stacked against you. Leyritz has been through a lot and has a lot to say that could possibly help younger players. He didn’t cause the accident and that was proven — but he should have never been drinking and driving. And yes, I believe most of the book proceeds are going to charity — that is what his PR company said.

8. baseballstars - Jun 8, 2011 at 4:34 AM

Leyritz was clutch as hell. I’m sure many Braves fans (including CC) are still sore after that game 3 home run off Mark Wholers in the 1996 World Series.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3055)