Jun 7, 2011, 6:40 PM EST
It was a very calm first two months for the MLB discpline department, so apparently Joe Torre and company are making up for lost time.
The Nationals’ Jason Marquis drew a five-game suspension today for throwing at the Diamondbacks’ Justin Upton in Sunday’s game. Arizona’s Esmerling Vazquez got three games for retaliating as a result of throwing at Danny Espinosa two innings later.
The two managers, Jim Riggleman and Kirk Gibson, were also suspended one game apiece. Those two suspensions will be served tonight. The players will appeal.
All four were also fined undisclosed amounts.
Both teams had already been issued warnings before the incidents that led to the player suspensions, so the managerial suspensions were pretty much automatic. Marquis, though, has denied that he had any intention of throwing at Upton in the sixth, literally pointing to the fact that it was a 1-0 game at the time (he actually motioned to the scoreboard after being tossed).
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 66
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)