Jun 7, 2011, 1:44 PM EST
A. Stacy Long of the Montgomery Advertiser reports that Bill Moloney, the Double-A pitching coach for the Rays, was shot in the thigh last night in an apparent mugging.
According to Long the incident occurred at Moloney’s apartment complex around 11:30 pm, after he’d coached in the Montgomery Biscuits’ game.
Here are a few more details:
Police said two unknown people approached Moloney, produced a handgun and demanded property. He was struck with the handgun and shot once in the upper left thigh before the two subjects fled, said Sgt. Donna Mackey, a police spokeswoman.
Moloney had some facial injuries in addition to the gun shot wound, but the team released a statement saying the 56-year-old coach is “at home resting and beginning his recovery.”
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)