Jun 7, 2011, 1:44 PM EDT
A. Stacy Long of the Montgomery Advertiser reports that Bill Moloney, the Double-A pitching coach for the Rays, was shot in the thigh last night in an apparent mugging.
According to Long the incident occurred at Moloney’s apartment complex around 11:30 pm, after he’d coached in the Montgomery Biscuits’ game.
Here are a few more details:
Police said two unknown people approached Moloney, produced a handgun and demanded property. He was struck with the handgun and shot once in the upper left thigh before the two subjects fled, said Sgt. Donna Mackey, a police spokeswoman.
Moloney had some facial injuries in addition to the gun shot wound, but the team released a statement saying the 56-year-old coach is “at home resting and beginning his recovery.”
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 9
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 87
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 63
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (89)