Jun 7, 2011, 1:44 PM EDT
A. Stacy Long of the Montgomery Advertiser reports that Bill Moloney, the Double-A pitching coach for the Rays, was shot in the thigh last night in an apparent mugging.
According to Long the incident occurred at Moloney’s apartment complex around 11:30 pm, after he’d coached in the Montgomery Biscuits’ game.
Here are a few more details:
Police said two unknown people approached Moloney, produced a handgun and demanded property. He was struck with the handgun and shot once in the upper left thigh before the two subjects fled, said Sgt. Donna Mackey, a police spokeswoman.
Moloney had some facial injuries in addition to the gun shot wound, but the team released a statement saying the 56-year-old coach is “at home resting and beginning his recovery.”
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)