Jun 7, 2011, 1:44 PM EDT
A. Stacy Long of the Montgomery Advertiser reports that Bill Moloney, the Double-A pitching coach for the Rays, was shot in the thigh last night in an apparent mugging.
According to Long the incident occurred at Moloney’s apartment complex around 11:30 pm, after he’d coached in the Montgomery Biscuits’ game.
Here are a few more details:
Police said two unknown people approached Moloney, produced a handgun and demanded property. He was struck with the handgun and shot once in the upper left thigh before the two subjects fled, said Sgt. Donna Mackey, a police spokeswoman.
Moloney had some facial injuries in addition to the gun shot wound, but the team released a statement saying the 56-year-old coach is “at home resting and beginning his recovery.”
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)