Jun 7, 2011, 1:44 PM EST
A. Stacy Long of the Montgomery Advertiser reports that Bill Moloney, the Double-A pitching coach for the Rays, was shot in the thigh last night in an apparent mugging.
According to Long the incident occurred at Moloney’s apartment complex around 11:30 pm, after he’d coached in the Montgomery Biscuits’ game.
Here are a few more details:
Police said two unknown people approached Moloney, produced a handgun and demanded property. He was struck with the handgun and shot once in the upper left thigh before the two subjects fled, said Sgt. Donna Mackey, a police spokeswoman.
Moloney had some facial injuries in addition to the gun shot wound, but the team released a statement saying the 56-year-old coach is “at home resting and beginning his recovery.”
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 41
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)