Jun 7, 2011, 1:18 PM EST
Gonzalez had played exclusively left field this season, but he started 55 times in center field last year and has 1,300 career innings there.
And while it may seem odd for a guy coming off a 34-homer, 117-RBI season to hit leadoff Gonzalez actually batted atop the lineup 44 times last season and 27 times in 2009.
Of course, none of that means he’ll remain in center field or as the leadoff man for long. Gonzalez told Troy Renck of the Denver Post that he’d prefer to hit in the middle of the lineup and manager Jim Tracy indicated that it’s a temporary move in part due to Gonzalez’s slow start.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 16
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 18
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)