Jun 7, 2011, 1:18 PM EST
Gonzalez had played exclusively left field this season, but he started 55 times in center field last year and has 1,300 career innings there.
And while it may seem odd for a guy coming off a 34-homer, 117-RBI season to hit leadoff Gonzalez actually batted atop the lineup 44 times last season and 27 times in 2009.
Of course, none of that means he’ll remain in center field or as the leadoff man for long. Gonzalez told Troy Renck of the Denver Post that he’d prefer to hit in the middle of the lineup and manager Jim Tracy indicated that it’s a temporary move in part due to Gonzalez’s slow start.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)