Jun 7, 2011, 1:48 AM EST
If Padres GM Jed Hoyer wasn’t on the phone bringing Anthony Rizzo up from Tucson after this one, I don’t know what it’s going to take.
The Rockies’ Clayton Mortensen, who entered with as many teams pitched for as career victories (three), combined with five relievers on a 3-0 shutout of the Padres on Monday.
After Mortenson got the job done for six, the Rockies used Rex Brothers, Matt Belisle, Rafael Betancourt and Matt Reynolds to get through the seventh and eighth innings. Huston Street came in and pitched a perfect ninth for his 16th save.
It was a 1-0 game most of the way, as the Rockies took an early lead on an infield single from Troy Tulowitzki that scored Chris Nelson in the first. They didn’t make it 3-0 until the top of the ninth, when Seth Smith and Chris Iannetta drove in runs.
The Padres had nine hits in the contest, matching the Rockies’ total. But whereas give of the Rockies’ hits went for extra bases, the Padres managed just one double, that coming off Jorge Cantu‘s bat.
All signs point to the Padres calling up Rizzo in short order. Usual first baseman Brad Hawpe got the start in right field Monday as he tries to get reaccustomed to his old position. Rizzo, one of baseball’s top prospects, is hitting .365/.444/.715 with 16 homers and 63 RBI in 52 games for Triple-A Tucson.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 103
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 9
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 28
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 34
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (115)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)