Jun 7, 2011, 1:48 AM EDT
If Padres GM Jed Hoyer wasn’t on the phone bringing Anthony Rizzo up from Tucson after this one, I don’t know what it’s going to take.
The Rockies’ Clayton Mortensen, who entered with as many teams pitched for as career victories (three), combined with five relievers on a 3-0 shutout of the Padres on Monday.
After Mortenson got the job done for six, the Rockies used Rex Brothers, Matt Belisle, Rafael Betancourt and Matt Reynolds to get through the seventh and eighth innings. Huston Street came in and pitched a perfect ninth for his 16th save.
It was a 1-0 game most of the way, as the Rockies took an early lead on an infield single from Troy Tulowitzki that scored Chris Nelson in the first. They didn’t make it 3-0 until the top of the ninth, when Seth Smith and Chris Iannetta drove in runs.
The Padres had nine hits in the contest, matching the Rockies’ total. But whereas give of the Rockies’ hits went for extra bases, the Padres managed just one double, that coming off Jorge Cantu‘s bat.
All signs point to the Padres calling up Rizzo in short order. Usual first baseman Brad Hawpe got the start in right field Monday as he tries to get reaccustomed to his old position. Rizzo, one of baseball’s top prospects, is hitting .365/.444/.715 with 16 homers and 63 RBI in 52 games for Triple-A Tucson.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)