Jun 7, 2011, 1:48 AM EST
If Padres GM Jed Hoyer wasn’t on the phone bringing Anthony Rizzo up from Tucson after this one, I don’t know what it’s going to take.
The Rockies’ Clayton Mortensen, who entered with as many teams pitched for as career victories (three), combined with five relievers on a 3-0 shutout of the Padres on Monday.
After Mortenson got the job done for six, the Rockies used Rex Brothers, Matt Belisle, Rafael Betancourt and Matt Reynolds to get through the seventh and eighth innings. Huston Street came in and pitched a perfect ninth for his 16th save.
It was a 1-0 game most of the way, as the Rockies took an early lead on an infield single from Troy Tulowitzki that scored Chris Nelson in the first. They didn’t make it 3-0 until the top of the ninth, when Seth Smith and Chris Iannetta drove in runs.
The Padres had nine hits in the contest, matching the Rockies’ total. But whereas give of the Rockies’ hits went for extra bases, the Padres managed just one double, that coming off Jorge Cantu‘s bat.
All signs point to the Padres calling up Rizzo in short order. Usual first baseman Brad Hawpe got the start in right field Monday as he tries to get reaccustomed to his old position. Rizzo, one of baseball’s top prospects, is hitting .365/.444/.715 with 16 homers and 63 RBI in 52 games for Triple-A Tucson.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 142
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 66
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (144)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)