Jun 7, 2011, 1:48 AM EST
If Padres GM Jed Hoyer wasn’t on the phone bringing Anthony Rizzo up from Tucson after this one, I don’t know what it’s going to take.
The Rockies’ Clayton Mortensen, who entered with as many teams pitched for as career victories (three), combined with five relievers on a 3-0 shutout of the Padres on Monday.
After Mortenson got the job done for six, the Rockies used Rex Brothers, Matt Belisle, Rafael Betancourt and Matt Reynolds to get through the seventh and eighth innings. Huston Street came in and pitched a perfect ninth for his 16th save.
It was a 1-0 game most of the way, as the Rockies took an early lead on an infield single from Troy Tulowitzki that scored Chris Nelson in the first. They didn’t make it 3-0 until the top of the ninth, when Seth Smith and Chris Iannetta drove in runs.
The Padres had nine hits in the contest, matching the Rockies’ total. But whereas give of the Rockies’ hits went for extra bases, the Padres managed just one double, that coming off Jorge Cantu‘s bat.
All signs point to the Padres calling up Rizzo in short order. Usual first baseman Brad Hawpe got the start in right field Monday as he tries to get reaccustomed to his old position. Rizzo, one of baseball’s top prospects, is hitting .365/.444/.715 with 16 homers and 63 RBI in 52 games for Triple-A Tucson.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 1
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)