Jun 7, 2011, 1:48 AM EDT
If Padres GM Jed Hoyer wasn’t on the phone bringing Anthony Rizzo up from Tucson after this one, I don’t know what it’s going to take.
The Rockies’ Clayton Mortensen, who entered with as many teams pitched for as career victories (three), combined with five relievers on a 3-0 shutout of the Padres on Monday.
After Mortenson got the job done for six, the Rockies used Rex Brothers, Matt Belisle, Rafael Betancourt and Matt Reynolds to get through the seventh and eighth innings. Huston Street came in and pitched a perfect ninth for his 16th save.
It was a 1-0 game most of the way, as the Rockies took an early lead on an infield single from Troy Tulowitzki that scored Chris Nelson in the first. They didn’t make it 3-0 until the top of the ninth, when Seth Smith and Chris Iannetta drove in runs.
The Padres had nine hits in the contest, matching the Rockies’ total. But whereas give of the Rockies’ hits went for extra bases, the Padres managed just one double, that coming off Jorge Cantu‘s bat.
All signs point to the Padres calling up Rizzo in short order. Usual first baseman Brad Hawpe got the start in right field Monday as he tries to get reaccustomed to his old position. Rizzo, one of baseball’s top prospects, is hitting .365/.444/.715 with 16 homers and 63 RBI in 52 games for Triple-A Tucson.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 62
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 41
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)