The implications of moving the fences in at Citi Field

Jun 7, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT

Citi Field AP

Everyone talks about moving the fences in at Citi Field, but no one analyzes it.  That is until today, when Adam Rubin — with the help of Greg Rybarczyk from Hittrackeronline.com — looks into how various modifications to the dimensions of Citi Field would affect the Mets in general and David Wright — the most frequently mentioned victim of Citi Field’s caverns — in particular.

Overall, the affect on Wright would not be as dramatic as one might think if you believe the “Citi Field is killing David Wright” crowd. He probably would have had four more homers in 2009, for example. Of course, one shouldn’t focus too much on Wright anyway. As Rubin notes in the article, Sandy Alderson — who once rejiggered the fences at Petco Park — does not believe that you should build a club to cater to the ballpark. As such, altering a ballpark to cater to one player is likely seen as madness by the Mets’ brass. And I tend to agree.

Ultimately, though, home runs may not be the determining factor. Check out this line from Rybarczyk:

“It’s probably worth mentioning that the Mets could create some nice new premium seats with these changes. In the Mo’s Zone, you’d get a few more rows of seats right near the field, and in left field you could make a sort of ‘home run porch’ out in front of the existing wall, with open-air seating on top, and another area underneath with a field-level view.”

That, much more than David Wright’s happiness, is likely to get the carpenters moving on fence construction.

1. halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Hey, you could move the fences in to 250′ down the lines and 300′ to center, and it would not help those loser Mutts play any better. Time to clean house, Sandy. Trade deadling is July 31st. All must go, clearance sale.

• cur68 - Jun 7, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Hey is this your subtle way of trying to get Reyes and Wright on the Phills? Say you don’t want them, agitate to for the Mets have a fire sale then…boom goes the ‘bicepts dynamite and next thing we all know there’s your offense? If so, clever…very clever Mr. ‘Bicepts.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I’ll tell you what…I wouldn’t take either Wright or Reyes for a bag of baseballs. They are losers who could never propel the Mutts to winning.

Polanco>Wright

Rollins>Reyes (Reyes gets the nod at this point with his legs and offense: Rollins gets the nod with the glove and because he’s a proven winner).

• cur68 - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Deny it all you want; I’m on to you. You’re like the fox that couldn’t quite reach the grapes. They are sour right up until you get your furry mitts on them. Then they are the ‘GREATEST GRAPES EVER!!!’
        Well played ‘bicepts…

• bleedgreen - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I’d take Reyes right now. Mainly because Jimmy is going to be a FA at the end of the season. Is he willing to swallow his pride and realize he’s on the downside of his career? He’s going to have to take what the Phils offer if he wants to stay in Philly. I don’t want him to leave, but I’m pretty sure its going to happen.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:27 AM

bleedgreen,

I guarantee right now that Rollins is not going anywhere. Period. He’ll probably sign a 3 yr, 15 million dollar contact with a lot of incentives. It’s the only organization he has ever known and has said he wants to stay.

Reyes wants big, big, big money and I would not pay it to him.

• Paul Zummo - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:44 AM

He’ll probably sign a 3 yr, 15 million dollar contact with a lot of incentives.

I for one really hope that you are correct. Because it would be so awesome for Amaro to load himself down with another idiotic contract.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Paul,

We print money at Citzens Bank Park with our sellouts every night. Amaro knows what he’s doing.

When your Mutts get out of financial ruin, you field a real team and at least half of your ballpark is full, get back to me and we can discuss.

• Paul Zummo - Jun 7, 2011 at 12:24 PM

We print money at Citzens Bank Park with our sellouts every night.

Oh no doubt the fine citizens of Philadelphia flock to Citizens Park in order to drown out the misery of failing to win the one title you actually care about in a half-century. And I’m sure the Phillies are doing fine financially. I just find it amusing that you mock the Mets when Amaro is basically repeating every mistake Omar Minaya made after 2006. After all, having a lot of money to spend is not always a blessing.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 7, 2011 at 1:38 PM

But the difference, Paulie, is that the Mutts weren’t coming off a World Series Championship and 5 straight division titles when Mr. Incompetence Omar was shelling out all that cash. I’m not the biggest Amaro fan in the world, but he is so far head and shoulders above Omar that they aren’t even in the same stratosphere. You, and your team, are a bunch of stinking mutts.

• mox19380 - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:32 PM

I’m surprised the Phillies fans would be more comfortable signing Jimmy Rollins to a 3 year extension at $15mill but not Reyes at $18mill…. Let’s face it Jimmy Rollins is about as done as Brad Lidge (and thats not easy for this Phillies fan to admit). He can’t produce at the plate, is little to no threat on the base paths, refuses to play the style of ball that would make him a producer and the great fielding that he’s been known for is slowly fading… I wouldn’t want Reyes on the Phillies but for $3 million dollars I’d tell J-Roll “it’s been real boss but onwards and upwards”… Come on Philly fans don’t be naive about J-roll’s fedgling skills

2. Paul Zummo - Jun 7, 2011 at 10:24 AM

I agree that it’s short sighted to move the fences in, but I also think that the left-field wall should be made shorter height-wise. Aside from the fact that it’s current construction makes it difficult to determine if a ball is a homerun or not, it’s ridiculously high considering that it’s not exactly close-in like the Green Monster. If you’re gonna make the batters hit the ball 400+ feet to get it out, you don’t need to also make the fence 18-feet high.

3. jamie54 - Jun 7, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Adding premium seats is fine but is there a market for it? If you don’t have fans attending the games as it is why add more seats that will stay empty?

4. sdelmonte - Jun 7, 2011 at 10:38 AM

I love the current dimensions. What we might lose with homers, we can get back with players like Reyes getting triples, and with pitchers getting fly ball outs.

I say, build the team to the park. Pitching, speed, defense. Much like the 80s Cardinals, I think. Less sexy than the longball, but homers are out of style anyway.

• spudchukar - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Are you suggesting that Chicks no longer dig the Long Ball?

• cur68 - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:13 AM

****ZING****!

• bleedgreen - Jun 7, 2011 at 11:25 AM

If I was a Met’s fan, I’d agree. There was 3 or 4 balls hit this past week by the Phils that if they were anywhere else, they’d have been homers. Your division won’t build a team to win in your ball park, but you can build a team to win in your ball park.

5. Charles Gates - Jun 7, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Then they move the fences back when the Mets are pitching…?

6. stackers1 - Jun 7, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I swear – I have nothing against Philadelphia or the Phillies. But I read this blog & see what you Phillie fans post. You’d think you guys have won the last ten world series. 1 is what I count in 10 years, the same as the Giants, The White Sox & The Angels. With one stickin’ ring since 1980, I’d pipe down about great you are. For years, you didn’t say the word, “Phillies” without the word “hapless” before it.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 7, 2011 at 1:41 PM

And now, you don’t say the work “Mets” without the word “hopeless”. Same shit, different decade. Maybe in 10 years, you’ll be on top. Until then, take your medicine just like us Phillies fans did all those years.

• mox19380 - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:44 PM

don’t they have two “stinkin” rings since 1980? I’m just saying if you’re gonna blast a team, city and fanbase get your facts straight.

also to talk about the number of rings in the last 10 years is absolutely pointless.
      since 2001 the Yanks have 1 WS ring (Including a gm7 blown save by Rivera in ’01 and the biggest collapse in history against the Bo-Sox)… 1 ring just like the Phillies

again get your facts straight

7. stackers1 - Jun 7, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Genius – I happen to be a Yankee fan. I didn’t even want to mention that in my original post because I thought that would really be rubbing it in. Call me when you have some more jewerly.

• mercyflush - Jun 7, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Since i’ve been alive (1977), no team in baseball has been to more world series than the Phillies except the Yankees. And no team has won more world series than the Phillies except that Yankees in that same time frame.

They have 8 straight winning seasons (should be 9 this year), and 10 straight seasons of at least 80 wins. They had a bad stretch in the late 80s and then a worse stretch in the 90s. But overall in my lifetime they’ve been overall one of the most successful teams in baseball.

Just my two cents. I know that alot of Phillies fans are annoying, but they are no different than Red Sox, Yankees or (lately) Giants fans. But the fact is that it isn’t just the last couple years – overall they’ve had much more success than e.g. the Mets in the last 30 or so years.

(yes, most of their history prior to that is very poor. i dont/cant deny it).

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 7, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Preach on, brother. Just like what Chris F said above, the Mutts need to take their medicine for the time being.

8. mox19380 - Jun 7, 2011 at 4:36 PM

what would be the purpose of adding more premium seats to Citi Field? They don’t fill the 50,000or so they already have. That being field dimensions are really overrated in my opinion. When the game is played everyone is playing on the same field. If Ryan Howard has to hit a 420ft ball in order to get a homerun so does David Wright. The Braves play in what is popularly known as a “pitchers park” it didn’t stop their hitters from reaching the playoffs consistently in the mid-to-late 90s… Counter that the Astros have a 320ft left field and they haven’t played playoff baseball in what 7-8 years

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3497)