Jun 7, 2011, 8:45 PM EDT
8: 45 p.m. EDT: Well, this isn’t so encouraging. Rizzo was scratched from Tucson’s lineup tonight. He’s expected to have his thumb evaluated in San Diego on Wednesday.
The Padres are holding off on that Anthony Rizzo callup for now after the Triple-A Tucson first baseman underwent an MRI on his left thumb Tuesday.
While pretty much everyone wants to see Rizzo in a Padres uniform, the team is going the smart route in making sure his thumb is sound. The last thing they want to do is call him up and see him go on the DL shortly afterwards, allowing him to accumulate major league service time when he isn’t even playing.
Rizzo, who missed two games with the thumb injury last week, is in the Tucson lineup tonight. He homered Friday in his first game back, and he’s hitting .365/.444/.715 with 16 homers and 63 RBI for the season.
San Diego-based AP writer Bernie Wilson tweeted tonight that ballpark chatter has Rizzo debuting within the next few days. The Padres started Brad Hawpe in right field on Monday in preparation for Rizzo’s arrival.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)