Jun 7, 2011, 8:45 PM EDT
8: 45 p.m. EDT: Well, this isn’t so encouraging. Rizzo was scratched from Tucson’s lineup tonight. He’s expected to have his thumb evaluated in San Diego on Wednesday.
The Padres are holding off on that Anthony Rizzo callup for now after the Triple-A Tucson first baseman underwent an MRI on his left thumb Tuesday.
While pretty much everyone wants to see Rizzo in a Padres uniform, the team is going the smart route in making sure his thumb is sound. The last thing they want to do is call him up and see him go on the DL shortly afterwards, allowing him to accumulate major league service time when he isn’t even playing.
Rizzo, who missed two games with the thumb injury last week, is in the Tucson lineup tonight. He homered Friday in his first game back, and he’s hitting .365/.444/.715 with 16 homers and 63 RBI for the season.
San Diego-based AP writer Bernie Wilson tweeted tonight that ballpark chatter has Rizzo debuting within the next few days. The Padres started Brad Hawpe in right field on Monday in preparation for Rizzo’s arrival.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)