Jun 7, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
They didn’t have a first-round pick last night, but the Yankees did have a supplemental first rounder at No. 51 thanks to losing Javier Vazquez as a free agent (seriously) and they used it on high school slugger Dante Bichette Jr.
In addition to being the son of four-time All-Star outfielder Dante Bichette he’s also a legitimate prospect, with Baseball America ranking Bichette as the 108th-best player in the draft.
And as Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News points out, it also didn’t hurt that Bichette Sr. is such good friends with Yankees manager Joe Girardi that Girardi named his son Dante. They played together on the Rockies from 1993 to 1995.
If junior can match senior’s career the Yankees will be thrilled with the pick, but he’ll probably never be able to match the old man’s physique.
New York gave up its first-round pick, No. 31 overall, to sign Rafael Soriano as a free agent.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 59
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)