Jun 7, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
They didn’t have a first-round pick last night, but the Yankees did have a supplemental first rounder at No. 51 thanks to losing Javier Vazquez as a free agent (seriously) and they used it on high school slugger Dante Bichette Jr.
In addition to being the son of four-time All-Star outfielder Dante Bichette he’s also a legitimate prospect, with Baseball America ranking Bichette as the 108th-best player in the draft.
And as Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News points out, it also didn’t hurt that Bichette Sr. is such good friends with Yankees manager Joe Girardi that Girardi named his son Dante. They played together on the Rockies from 1993 to 1995.
If junior can match senior’s career the Yankees will be thrilled with the pick, but he’ll probably never be able to match the old man’s physique.
New York gave up its first-round pick, No. 31 overall, to sign Rafael Soriano as a free agent.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (361)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)