Jun 7, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
They didn’t have a first-round pick last night, but the Yankees did have a supplemental first rounder at No. 51 thanks to losing Javier Vazquez as a free agent (seriously) and they used it on high school slugger Dante Bichette Jr.
In addition to being the son of four-time All-Star outfielder Dante Bichette he’s also a legitimate prospect, with Baseball America ranking Bichette as the 108th-best player in the draft.
And as Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News points out, it also didn’t hurt that Bichette Sr. is such good friends with Yankees manager Joe Girardi that Girardi named his son Dante. They played together on the Rockies from 1993 to 1995.
If junior can match senior’s career the Yankees will be thrilled with the pick, but he’ll probably never be able to match the old man’s physique.
New York gave up its first-round pick, No. 31 overall, to sign Rafael Soriano as a free agent.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 8
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 46
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)