Jun 8, 2011, 8:18 PM EST
According to the great Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, the A’s will promote 26-year-old right-hander Graham Godfrey from Triple-A Sacramento on Friday to make his major league debut Friday night against the White Sox.
A 34th-round pick of the Blue Jays back in 2006, Godfrey is far from a top prospect. But he has posted a cool 2.50 ERA and 1.11 WHIP across nine starts at the Triple-A level this season while striking out 45 batters and walking only 14 in 50-plus innings.
The A’s will hope that he can ride some of that momentum into a solid big league debut.
Godfrey was acquired from Toronto in the winter of 2007 for shortstop Marco Scutaro.
Oakland is trying to peg down a reliable fill-in for ace left-hander Brett Anderson, who is off to see Dr. James Andrews after experiencing more discomfort this week in his troublesome throwing elbow.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)