Jun 8, 2011, 8:18 PM EDT
According to the great Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, the A’s will promote 26-year-old right-hander Graham Godfrey from Triple-A Sacramento on Friday to make his major league debut Friday night against the White Sox.
A 34th-round pick of the Blue Jays back in 2006, Godfrey is far from a top prospect. But he has posted a cool 2.50 ERA and 1.11 WHIP across nine starts at the Triple-A level this season while striking out 45 batters and walking only 14 in 50-plus innings.
The A’s will hope that he can ride some of that momentum into a solid big league debut.
Godfrey was acquired from Toronto in the winter of 2007 for shortstop Marco Scutaro.
Oakland is trying to peg down a reliable fill-in for ace left-hander Brett Anderson, who is off to see Dr. James Andrews after experiencing more discomfort this week in his troublesome throwing elbow.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)