Jun 8, 2011, 7:04 PM EDT
A bone scan turned up a non-displaced fracture in Brett Lawrie’s hand, and the Jays’ No. 1 prospect is expected to need the next 2-3 weeks off, Sportsnet’s Shi Davidi reports.
X-rays originally found no break in the area in which Lawrie was hit by a pitch last week while playing for Triple-A Las Vegas, but additional tests performed after the swelling went down discovered the fracture.
Lawrie was thought to be on the verge of a callup at the time of the injury. The 21-year-old third baseman was hitting .354/.415/.677 with 15 homers, 49 RBI and 11 steaks in 52 games for the 51s. Now, since he’ll need a chance to regain his swing in the minors before being added, it seems doubtful that we’ll see him in Toronto prior to the All-Star break.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)