Jun 8, 2011, 7:04 PM EDT
A bone scan turned up a non-displaced fracture in Brett Lawrie’s hand, and the Jays’ No. 1 prospect is expected to need the next 2-3 weeks off, Sportsnet’s Shi Davidi reports.
X-rays originally found no break in the area in which Lawrie was hit by a pitch last week while playing for Triple-A Las Vegas, but additional tests performed after the swelling went down discovered the fracture.
Lawrie was thought to be on the verge of a callup at the time of the injury. The 21-year-old third baseman was hitting .354/.415/.677 with 15 homers, 49 RBI and 11 steaks in 52 games for the 51s. Now, since he’ll need a chance to regain his swing in the minors before being added, it seems doubtful that we’ll see him in Toronto prior to the All-Star break.
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 21
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 17
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 26
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (100)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)