Cleveland’s big early lead in the AL Central is slipping away

Jun 8, 2011, 3:50 PM EDT

choo getty Getty Images

Cleveland shocked everyone by going 18-8 in April and kept rolling through the first three weeks of May, giving the Indians an MLB-best 30-15 record as of May 23.

That put them seven games ahead of the Tigers in the AL Central and double-digit games ahead of every other team in the division, but the Indians have gone 4-11 since then–including an extra-inning loss to the Twins this afternoon–and if the Tigers win tonight that big early lead will have disintegrated from 7.0 games to 0.5 games in just two weeks.

Even at 34-26 the Indians have dramatically out-performed expectations that included many preseason predictions pegging them for fourth or even fifth place in the AL Central, but with Detroit just a game back and Chicago still lurking within striking distance manager Manny Acta will have to get things back on track in a hurry.

I’ve certainly been wrong about the Indians so far, but at this point I’d pick them to finish in third place.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 8, 2011 at 3:57 PM

I’m still sticking w/ my preseason pick of the Saaax to win the central. Balls to the wall baby.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 8, 2011 at 3:58 PM

I agree on the Indians though, 3rd place.

• kopy - Jun 8, 2011 at 4:39 PM

My heart says Twins, but my head says Tigers.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 8, 2011 at 5:19 PM

I’ll remember these thumbs downs when the Saax take the division. Remember remember, the eighth of June.

2. mattraw - Jun 8, 2011 at 4:03 PM

That picture of Choo looks just like Strutting Leo.

Well played, Gleeman.

• aceshigh11 - Jun 8, 2011 at 4:14 PM

I had to Google the “strutting Leo” meme. Never heard of it before.

• scatterbrian - Jun 8, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Well played as well mattraw….but if this continues Aaron will have to find a Choo that looks like Sad Keanu

3. yankeesfanlen - Jun 8, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Go Tigers! (Miguel, have a drink on me).

4. shanemcdowell - Jun 8, 2011 at 4:52 PM

It’s not going to help the Indians that they play the Yanks next, while the Tigers play the Mariners. Hard to see them in first place by the end of the weekend.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5246)