Jun 8, 2011, 8:50 PM EDT
8:50 p.m. EDT update: no no-no for Lowe. Greg Dobbs singled off the glove of a diving Alex Gonzalez with one out in the seventh. Even if Gonzalez had managed to grab it, he would have had a tough time throwing Dobbs out at on the play.
With the no-hitter gone, it will be interesting to see if Lowe comes back out. He hasn’t pitched into the eighth this year.
8:55 p.m. EDT update: Lowe didn’t even survive the seventh. Following a second single and a two-out walk to load the bases, he was pulled in favor of Eric O’Flaherty.
Maybe there is something to that jinx thing after all.
For the second time this season, Derek Lowe has pitched six no-hit innings. He’s taking a no-hitter into the seventh inning against the Marlins with the Braves up 2-0.
Lowe previously pitched six hitless innings against the Phillies on May 6. He was pulled from that one after allowing back-to-back hits to begin the seventh, but he still got the victory as the Braves prevailed 5-0.
Lowe hasn’t pitched a complete game since 2008, so the odds are really stacked against him here. He has one no-hitter to his credit, that coming for the Red Sox against the Devil Rays on April 27, 2002.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)