Jun 8, 2011, 8:50 PM EDT
8:50 p.m. EDT update: no no-no for Lowe. Greg Dobbs singled off the glove of a diving Alex Gonzalez with one out in the seventh. Even if Gonzalez had managed to grab it, he would have had a tough time throwing Dobbs out at on the play.
With the no-hitter gone, it will be interesting to see if Lowe comes back out. He hasn’t pitched into the eighth this year.
8:55 p.m. EDT update: Lowe didn’t even survive the seventh. Following a second single and a two-out walk to load the bases, he was pulled in favor of Eric O’Flaherty.
Maybe there is something to that jinx thing after all.
For the second time this season, Derek Lowe has pitched six no-hit innings. He’s taking a no-hitter into the seventh inning against the Marlins with the Braves up 2-0.
Lowe previously pitched six hitless innings against the Phillies on May 6. He was pulled from that one after allowing back-to-back hits to begin the seventh, but he still got the victory as the Braves prevailed 5-0.
Lowe hasn’t pitched a complete game since 2008, so the odds are really stacked against him here. He has one no-hitter to his credit, that coming for the Red Sox against the Devil Rays on April 27, 2002.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 6
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 35
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 44
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)