Jun 8, 2011, 8:50 PM EDT
8:50 p.m. EDT update: no no-no for Lowe. Greg Dobbs singled off the glove of a diving Alex Gonzalez with one out in the seventh. Even if Gonzalez had managed to grab it, he would have had a tough time throwing Dobbs out at on the play.
With the no-hitter gone, it will be interesting to see if Lowe comes back out. He hasn’t pitched into the eighth this year.
8:55 p.m. EDT update: Lowe didn’t even survive the seventh. Following a second single and a two-out walk to load the bases, he was pulled in favor of Eric O’Flaherty.
Maybe there is something to that jinx thing after all.
For the second time this season, Derek Lowe has pitched six no-hit innings. He’s taking a no-hitter into the seventh inning against the Marlins with the Braves up 2-0.
Lowe previously pitched six hitless innings against the Phillies on May 6. He was pulled from that one after allowing back-to-back hits to begin the seventh, but he still got the victory as the Braves prevailed 5-0.
Lowe hasn’t pitched a complete game since 2008, so the odds are really stacked against him here. He has one no-hitter to his credit, that coming for the Red Sox against the Devil Rays on April 27, 2002.
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 112
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (120)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (100)