Jun 8, 2011, 8:50 PM EST
8:50 p.m. EDT update: no no-no for Lowe. Greg Dobbs singled off the glove of a diving Alex Gonzalez with one out in the seventh. Even if Gonzalez had managed to grab it, he would have had a tough time throwing Dobbs out at on the play.
With the no-hitter gone, it will be interesting to see if Lowe comes back out. He hasn’t pitched into the eighth this year.
8:55 p.m. EDT update: Lowe didn’t even survive the seventh. Following a second single and a two-out walk to load the bases, he was pulled in favor of Eric O’Flaherty.
Maybe there is something to that jinx thing after all.
For the second time this season, Derek Lowe has pitched six no-hit innings. He’s taking a no-hitter into the seventh inning against the Marlins with the Braves up 2-0.
Lowe previously pitched six hitless innings against the Phillies on May 6. He was pulled from that one after allowing back-to-back hits to begin the seventh, but he still got the victory as the Braves prevailed 5-0.
Lowe hasn’t pitched a complete game since 2008, so the odds are really stacked against him here. He has one no-hitter to his credit, that coming for the Red Sox against the Devil Rays on April 27, 2002.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)