Jun 8, 2011, 8:50 PM EDT
8:50 p.m. EDT update: no no-no for Lowe. Greg Dobbs singled off the glove of a diving Alex Gonzalez with one out in the seventh. Even if Gonzalez had managed to grab it, he would have had a tough time throwing Dobbs out at on the play.
With the no-hitter gone, it will be interesting to see if Lowe comes back out. He hasn’t pitched into the eighth this year.
8:55 p.m. EDT update: Lowe didn’t even survive the seventh. Following a second single and a two-out walk to load the bases, he was pulled in favor of Eric O’Flaherty.
Maybe there is something to that jinx thing after all.
For the second time this season, Derek Lowe has pitched six no-hit innings. He’s taking a no-hitter into the seventh inning against the Marlins with the Braves up 2-0.
Lowe previously pitched six hitless innings against the Phillies on May 6. He was pulled from that one after allowing back-to-back hits to begin the seventh, but he still got the victory as the Braves prevailed 5-0.
Lowe hasn’t pitched a complete game since 2008, so the odds are really stacked against him here. He has one no-hitter to his credit, that coming for the Red Sox against the Devil Rays on April 27, 2002.
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 3
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 31
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 56
- Apparently MLB is going to ignore Alex Sanabia throwing a spitball 40
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (108)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings