Diamondbacks announcer Mark Grace arrested for DUI

Jun 8, 2011, 7:24 PM EDT

Mark Grace mugshot

Longtime Chicago Cubs first baseman and current Diamondbacks color guy Mark Grace was arrested in Scottsdale on Memorial Day, the Arizona Republic reports.

The report says the 46-year-old Grace was stopped after 1 a.m. on May 30 while weaving within his lane.  Grace didn’t have his wallet or license with him at the time of his arrest.  He admitted to “having a few drinks,” the police report said, and was arrested on suspicion of DUI.  Results of a blood test are pending.

Grace has continued to work Diamondbacks games for Fox Sports Arizona since the arrest.  He’s in his eighth season with the network.

Grace played 16 seasons with the Cubs and Diamondbacks from 1988-2003.  A three-time All-Star and four-time Gold Glover, he hit .303/.383/.442 with 173 homers and 1,146 RBI over the course of his career.  He led the NL with 51 doubles in 1995.

1. skerney - Jun 8, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Don’t drink and drive. If you don’t want to go to jail, never admit you “had a few drinks.” You don’t get let go for being honest.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 8, 2011 at 7:52 PM

I don’t condone getting smashed and getting behind the wheel of a vehicle (been there, done it). However, everyone is a fool to think that this doesn’t happen thousands of times a day. What do you think, with all the bars out there, that most people are taking cabs to go out and drink. No way. Just look at the parking lots of any bar or club and you will see all the cars there. I suppose they are there drinking soda.

You can have a few beers, be fine to drive, get pulled over for some other reason, and be screwed.

You are right, though. It doesn’t pay to drink and drive (because if you get caught, it’s you that will be doing the paying).

• Tim's Neighbor - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Think about all of the cab fairs you saved on compared to the cost of the DUI ticket/court date. You probably saved money. Drinking and driving is just another way to get back at The Man. Or something.

• schrutebeetfarms - Jun 9, 2011 at 12:49 PM

No to spoil your outrage, as it seems you have quite a lather going, but who are you talking to?

Who said it doesn’t happen 1000’s of times a day? Are you just arguing with yourself at this point? If so, I’m even more impressed with how worked up you got.

2. halladaysbicepts - Jun 8, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Oh, no!!! Another DUI in baseball? Oh my god. Let’s tar and feather this guy. I can’t believe someone could have a few drinks and drive. This never happens…Oh, there’s too many bars and clubs out there. But, this never happens.

Give me a break. Non-story here…just another person that got caught. And don’t give me that BS that this is a baseball epidemic and something has to be done about it. It’s called life, gentlemen.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 8, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Bicepts is right about this as well. Happens thousands of times a day, unfortunately. The penalties are not severe enough to really deter people from doing it. I’ve done in many a time in my younger days and am just thankful I never hurt anybody.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 8, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Yes it does, good Doctor. Unfortunately, it usually takes getting caught to wise up and not do it again. I won’t drive with a drop of beer in my system. With license suspension, DUI classes, fines, it’s not worth it.

I’m multi-tasking right now between this and the Phillies game. Going into the 5th inning, the offense is it’s usual self. No production.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 8, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Yeah, I know. I don’t even know what to say about the offense anymore. Everybody but Polanco is under performing. Either that or they are just past it. It is concerning.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 8, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Doctor,

Even Chris F. is coming around to my viewpoints from his posts early on. A lot of Phillies fans on this board told me that I was crazy and not to be concerned. I know baseball and and I know bad baseball when I see it.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 8, 2011 at 9:20 PM

On the positive, Worley pitched well again for the Iron Pigs this evening. 7 innings, 3 hits, 0 runs thus far. It seems like it is just a matter of time before he is back in the rotation.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 8, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Doctor,

That’s good to hear about Vance. Good line. We will see him soon again, if the Kyle Kendrick experiment fails, which I expect will happen.

Cole is pitching like a mad man tonight. Hopefully, they hold on to win this game.

3. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 8, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Maybe this explains his commentary skills in the booth.

• Diana - Jun 8, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Yeah to that. Really boring, though not nearly as boring as the guys for the Bucs

4. cur68 - Jun 8, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Since he’s not a current player he doesn’t make it to the mug shot hall of fame; MLB edition. Pity. He’s a grinning fool in that shot. Looks happier than Miggy did in his.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 8, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Cur,
      Thank you for the glowing write up. Truly a man of your word.

• cur68 - Jun 8, 2011 at 8:40 PM

My pleasure. Had a good time writing that and found out Cholly’s middle name was ‘Fuqua’. Did you know that was his middle name?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 8, 2011 at 9:10 PM

I did actually. I have a vague recollection of Wheels talking about it at some point in time.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 9, 2011 at 12:54 AM

I have vague recollections of a lot of crap that Wheels says—even right after he says them.

I’m watching MLB Tonight on MLBNet, and I swear I heard Bowa say something to the effect of Domonic Brown holding a lot of big wood in his hands. Damn I need to go to bed.

5. seanb20124 - Jun 8, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Out on the town looking for a slumpbuster. Classic Jim Rome interview reference

• Old Gator - Jun 9, 2011 at 1:51 AM

Bless Gracie for expositing on “slumpbuster,” not to mention many other great moments. He and Rome have terrific interview chemistry – though if I recall aright that was the same show where Rome launched into his “a horse is not an athelete” rant. I think gracie inspired him. The guy is a true original and it really saddens me to see him getting nailed for doing something so incredibly reckless and stupid.

• Old Gator - Jun 9, 2011 at 1:53 AM

Eh, hit stupid “post comment” button again. Meant to add that if you pick up a copy of Cormac McCarthy’s novel Cities of the Plain, it opens with a couple of El Paso ranch hands stepping up to the front door of a Juarez cathouse similarly expostulating on the virtues of slumpbusters a la Gracie.

6. Tim's Neighbor - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Let any of you who would not want to have a drink with Mark “Slumpbuster” Grace cast the first stone.

7. skeleteeth - Jun 9, 2011 at 2:37 PM

That was BIG LEAGUE right there!!!!!

8. stairwayto7 - Jun 10, 2011 at 3:12 PM

FIRE GRACE NOW AND HE NEEDS TO GO TO REHAB!!!

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS