Jun 8, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
San Francisco signing Miguel Tejada to a one-year, $6.5 million deal and handing him the starting shortstop job at age 37 was a bad idea at the time, as they focused on his veteran-ness rather than his declining offense and lack of range.
By the middle of spring training the beat reporters covering the team were talking openly about how unimpressive Tejada looked, by late April the Giants had switched him from shortstop to third base, and now Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reports that they may be ready to simply release the former MVP.
Pablo Sandoval is close to coming off the disabled list, creating an infield logjam and forcing a roster move, and Baggarly writes that “there doesn’t appear to be much use for Tejada” with rookie Brandon Crawford playing well.
Tejada ranks dead last among NL hitters with a .515 OPS and his defense, even at third base, has been ugly. Asked about his job security, Tejada replied: “There’s four months left. I’m not going to let these first two months get in my head.”
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)