Great moments in defense: Kansas City Royals edition

Jun 8, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT

Toronto Blue Jays v Kansas City Royals Getty Images

It’s shaping up to be a pretty slow day, so let’s just keep watching videos, OK?

Watch this one from the first run scored in the Royals-Jays game last night.

It’s basically a replay of every single game I played in from the age of 7 through the end of my baseball career at the age of 15.  And yes, I was a catcher, so I not only started every play like this, but I had a great view of it too.

1. Chris St. John - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:41 AM

If Escobar wasn’t such a lazy player, he would have scored twice on that play.

2. cur68 - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I saw this one unfold last night. It took me back to my playing days as well. As a shortstop (where I played till I was 15) I would have had nothing to do with this except watch my catcher, a chubby kid named Mickey, heave the ball to CF, as I stood helplessly till our CF woke up from her power nap, realized she’d been involved in yet ANOTHER pick off/caught stealing attempt by Mickey, who had a crush on her, had to heave a ball in and then demonstrate why we had a girl (Liz) playing CF: she’d nail the guy going to 3rd easy. Great arm on that chick.

Escobar actually ran half this sequence with a slightly pulled quad, that’s how poor the Royals D is. Later on Frenchy and his CF would distinguish themselves by letting a pop up drop exactly between them.

Hey, Frenchy was pretty good with the bat last night. He’s essentially sitting on fastballs and letting all else go by. He’s aided and abetted by Blue Jay pitchers who can only throw the FB for a strike. All else bounces past our playing-hurt catcher.

3. missthemexpos - Jun 8, 2011 at 12:02 PM

The debate is always feet first or head first for the runner, however Escobar more or less was a sideways slide into second.

4. Charles Gates - Jun 8, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Joe Poz leaves town and look what happens…

5. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 8, 2011 at 3:21 PM

I have no comment. :-)

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3496)