Jun 8, 2011, 10:25 PM EDT
According to Tom D’Angelo of the Palm Beach Post, Marlins skipper Edwin Rodriguez told reporters on Wednesday that Ramirez could begin playing in rehab games at Single-A Jupiter this weekend and may even be ready to return to the big leagues on Tuesday, the first day he’s eligible.
Ramirez hit off a tee and played a light game of catch on Wednesday afternoon. He’s expected to take ground balls and participate in live batting practice Thursday. The Marlins’ medical staff will then reevaluate him Friday before deciding if the three-time All-Star is ready for live games.
Ramirez, 27, is batting just .210/.306/.309 with four homers and 17 RBI through 207 plate appearances this season. The Marlins are 4 1/2 games back of the Phillies in the National League East standings.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)