Jun 8, 2011, 10:25 PM EDT
According to Tom D’Angelo of the Palm Beach Post, Marlins skipper Edwin Rodriguez told reporters on Wednesday that Ramirez could begin playing in rehab games at Single-A Jupiter this weekend and may even be ready to return to the big leagues on Tuesday, the first day he’s eligible.
Ramirez hit off a tee and played a light game of catch on Wednesday afternoon. He’s expected to take ground balls and participate in live batting practice Thursday. The Marlins’ medical staff will then reevaluate him Friday before deciding if the three-time All-Star is ready for live games.
Ramirez, 27, is batting just .210/.306/.309 with four homers and 17 RBI through 207 plate appearances this season. The Marlins are 4 1/2 games back of the Phillies in the National League East standings.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)