Jun 8, 2011, 10:25 PM EST
According to Tom D’Angelo of the Palm Beach Post, Marlins skipper Edwin Rodriguez told reporters on Wednesday that Ramirez could begin playing in rehab games at Single-A Jupiter this weekend and may even be ready to return to the big leagues on Tuesday, the first day he’s eligible.
Ramirez hit off a tee and played a light game of catch on Wednesday afternoon. He’s expected to take ground balls and participate in live batting practice Thursday. The Marlins’ medical staff will then reevaluate him Friday before deciding if the three-time All-Star is ready for live games.
Ramirez, 27, is batting just .210/.306/.309 with four homers and 17 RBI through 207 plate appearances this season. The Marlins are 4 1/2 games back of the Phillies in the National League East standings.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)