Happy Strasburg-a-versary

Jun 8, 2011, 3:05 PM EDT

Strasburg walks off

Lots of promising young guys make their major league debut every year, but there aren’t many like Stephen Strasburg‘s, both in anticipation and in actual payoff.  It was a year ago tonight that Strasburg made his, and I’m still in awe over it.

He struck out 14 Pirates batters without issuing a walk.  His last pitch of the night — his 94th — was clocked at 98 MPH. He hit 99 MPH multiple times.  Between the movement of his fastball and that insane, multi-plane slider thing he threw, Pittsburgh never had a chance. With that heat, though, his changeup looked to be like a future killer, much the way Johan Santana and Tim Lincecum have made their bones off of their changeups despite having so much else going for them. Strasburg showed that night — and again, over the course of the handful of starts he got before his ligaments got the better of him — that he was the total package.

Strasburg’s rehab is reportedly going well. He may see some real action late this season and should, barring any setbacks, be ready for regular action to kick off next year.  I don’t know what we’ll see.  I hope we see something as close to the pre-surgery Strasburg as is medically possible, though I worry we won’t.

But even if we don’t, we’ll still have those few weeks of 2010 when some of the most electric stuff every unleashed by a rookie pitcher made its way into our living rooms.

Happy Strasburg-a-versary.

1. halladaysbicepts - Jun 8, 2011 at 3:16 PM

I remember his last start when he got hurt last year. It was against the Phillies. I want to say, if I remember, that he hurt himself in the 3rd inning. He was in a lot of pain. That was when the Phillies offense was going on all cylinders last year. The Phillies need that kind of explosion like last September again. And soon.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 8, 2011 at 3:34 PM

It was in the fifth inning. It’s amazing how you can pull the Phils 2011 offensive troubles into any conversation. You’re like Giuliani when referencing 9/11. The Phils are about 18-20th in all offensive categories. They’re bad with the bats, but about 10 teams are worse than they are so…I’d say relax, but we know that won’t happen.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 8, 2011 at 3:38 PM

It was just a point of reference. His last start was against the Phillies and he was hurt playing against them. I then remembered how they had their bats going at that time. That’s all.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 8, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Don’t fret, Bicepts. The Phils will be just fine. Now I’d like to see who heats up first…Uggla or Dunn. Both are sooooo f’ing bad right now…although Dunn’s badness is becoming historic.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 8, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Yeah, Uggla and Dunn are not having good years. However, Uggla is still fairly young and will go on a tear. I watched him for too many years when he was with the Fish whipping on the Phils. He’ll be fine.

As far as the Phils offense, I’m not too sure. I see no light at the end of the tunnel. Like I said before, Charlie needs to start throwing stuff in that locker room around to wake these guys up.

• bleedgreen - Jun 8, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Yup, I was at that game about 10 rows back directly behind the plate in the diamond level. A cashier at Whole Foods gave me the tickets for free simply cuz I had a Phils shirt on at 6:00PM. Mad dash home and down to the ballpark.

And Kendrick was pitching. And the Phils still lost the game I believe. My wife has been to 9 games over the past 2 years. She’s never seen them win. All she wants to see is the bell ring. Hasn’t happened yet for her.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 8, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Sorry to here about the bad luck your wife is having at games. I have had those similar stretches throughout the years of going to Phils games. Just tell her that it will happen soon, especially if Doc is on the mound next time you go.

• marshmallowsnake - Jun 8, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Sounds like your wife needs to go to 81 games a year :)

• natstowngreg - Jun 8, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Wow, those are some fairly pricey seats for someone to be handing out at a supermarket. Diamond Club seats retail for $170-175 a game. At least, pricey by Nats Park standards (not by Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park standards).

• bleedgreen - Jun 8, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Yeah apparently this lady’s husband worked for some beverage distributor and wasn’t able to goto the game. We seriously thought she was joking.

And I saw Doc pitch in Citi Field. We got there in the 2nd, and people were cheering and roaring when we were walking across the parking lot. We thought the Mets were crushing… turns out it was like, 3-0 Phils, and it was 60+% Phils fans! We had a good time.

• jjschiller - Jun 8, 2011 at 5:34 PM

*Septembert

2. uberfatty - Jun 8, 2011 at 3:31 PM

I remember last year when I got a call from a friend about Strasburg’s injury, I was watching a Brewers game and I think it was the 3rd inning. I felt his pain. That was when the Brewers’ pitching was really weak because they didn’t have any starters. I hope that they don’t ever go back to that way of pitching like last September.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 8, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Yeah. The announcers here in Philly were at a lost for words after he was injured. Obviously, even though the Phils and Nats are division rivals, you don’t want that to happen to such a young, promising kid.

• jjschiller - Jun 8, 2011 at 5:36 PM

*injuredt, *kidt

• jjschiller - Jun 8, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Its extra fun because he doesn’t get it, amiright?

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 8, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I get it, a-hole. You are going through all my posts and adding a “t”. Yeah, your real original. Come back at me with something better, punk.

• jjschiller - Jun 8, 2011 at 6:05 PM

First,*punkt

Second, no, you still didn’t get it.

Also, *you’re not your

• uberfatty - Jun 8, 2011 at 6:42 PM

I’m slowly going to be more blatant until the light goes off. Tried on the Frank McCourt thread but I think I was too dry with that attempt. Oh well, there’s always tomorrow.

3. Utley's Hair - Jun 8, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Sorry, Craig, I forgot and didn’t get you anything. :(

4. ccad05 - Jun 8, 2011 at 5:41 PM

No ones “badness” is equal to that of my beloved cubbies right now.

• cur68 - Jun 8, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Aw jeez man, buck up. They beat the Reds this afternoon. That’s something, right?

5. jwbiii - Jun 8, 2011 at 5:54 PM

I thought the term was ‘Strasmas’.

6. ccad05 - Jun 8, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Haha there’s always next year!!!

7. natstowngreg - Jun 8, 2011 at 6:43 PM

I saw him pitch in person twice. Last time was vs. the White Sox. The President was there, sitting a couple of sections from me, wearing his White Sox cap, generating much buzz.

It was great to see “100” on the Nats Park radar gun, and great to see him make the Sox’ righty power hitters look foolish; ex., Carlos Quentin striking out on pitches that almost hit him in the knee.

No guarantees for Strasburg’s recovery, of course, but Jordan Zimmermann’s recent success gives us Nats fans reason for optimism.

8. repmaguire - Jun 9, 2011 at 12:56 PM

I was at that game on 6/8/10. I’ve been attending pro baseball games since 1962 when I saw Casey Stengel’s Mets in the Polo Grounds. Strasburg’s debut was THE best game I was ever at. The atmosphere was electric.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3042)