Jun 8, 2011, 3:05 PM EDT
Lots of promising young guys make their major league debut every year, but there aren’t many like Stephen Strasburg‘s, both in anticipation and in actual payoff. It was a year ago tonight that Strasburg made his, and I’m still in awe over it.
He struck out 14 Pirates batters without issuing a walk. His last pitch of the night — his 94th — was clocked at 98 MPH. He hit 99 MPH multiple times. Between the movement of his fastball and that insane, multi-plane slider thing he threw, Pittsburgh never had a chance. With that heat, though, his changeup looked to be like a future killer, much the way Johan Santana and Tim Lincecum have made their bones off of their changeups despite having so much else going for them. Strasburg showed that night — and again, over the course of the handful of starts he got before his ligaments got the better of him — that he was the total package.
Strasburg’s rehab is reportedly going well. He may see some real action late this season and should, barring any setbacks, be ready for regular action to kick off next year. I don’t know what we’ll see. I hope we see something as close to the pre-surgery Strasburg as is medically possible, though I worry we won’t.
But even if we don’t, we’ll still have those few weeks of 2010 when some of the most electric stuff every unleashed by a rookie pitcher made its way into our living rooms.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 45
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 34
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 10
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)