HBT Daily: On showboating, bat-flipping and other such nonsense

Jun 8, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT

Tiffany and I try to figure out exactly why Bryce Harper's kisses get us angry but David Ortiz's bat flips don't.
This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. Jonny 5 - Jun 8, 2011 at 12:49 PM

The Pappi thing looked like nothing, it wasn’t like he was blowing kisses at the pitcher after watching his home run until it lands in the stands like Harper did. It was way different, Pappi just tossed his bat with no real thought behind it, it seems.

I don’t think it’s double standards, it’s two different cases. Pappi wasn’t showboating and if he was it was the lowest form of it I ever saw. Harper was laying it on extra thick with an extra helping of kissies to go with it.

2. cur68 - Jun 8, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Good take on the Papi v Harper thing. Pretty spot on. There’s the telling bit that lots of people like Papi and not a lot of people like Harper, which plays into this to some degree. Frankly, Craig I liked one of your takes from yesterday; Harper should be the bad guy. He should play up being a heel. If your talent is as big as your ego then why not? Harper has a talent for rubbing people the wrong way. Might as well run with it.

3. deathmonkey41 - Jun 8, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Papi was showboating and will inevitably take a fastball to the ribs before this series ends.

• shaggylocks - Jun 8, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Um, really? Have you ever actually seen a showboat?

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 8, 2011 at 5:22 PM

There’s less juice on that showboat than in Big Papi.

4. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 8, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Craig, you obviously dont trust my fashion advice from yesterday.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jun 8, 2011 at 4:32 PM

I’m a bit limited in that regard as I need a lapel on which to clip the microphone.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jun 8, 2011 at 4:57 PM

I will contact my “sources” at NBC and see if we can get you one of those old fashioned hand held mikes. Then there are no excuses! :-)

5. bozosforall - Jun 8, 2011 at 6:13 PM

It’s blatantly obvious that you are a Red Sox fan, Calcaterra.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jun 8, 2011 at 6:40 PM

In defense of THE MAN, i believe he makes it blatantly obvious he is a Braves fun almost everyday.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2946)