Jun 8, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
The more interesting part of this to me is how he hurt his ankle: tripping over the bullpen mounds down the right field line in AT&T Park while chasing a foul ball. There aren’t a ton of bullpens that are wide open to the field of play like that anymore. There used to be a ton, but ever since they started in with the new stadium construction boom in the early 90s, the vast majority of pens have been put behind the outfield fence. San Francisco didn’t do that, though, mostly because the San Francisco Bay is right beyond the outfield fence.
As I sit here right now I know that, apart from San Francisco, the pens are on the field at Wrigley and — I think — in Oakland. I’m blanking on any others, though I’m sure there are a few.
I always wondered if a lot of guys hurt themselves on those things.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 34
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 38
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)