Jun 8, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
The more interesting part of this to me is how he hurt his ankle: tripping over the bullpen mounds down the right field line in AT&T Park while chasing a foul ball. There aren’t a ton of bullpens that are wide open to the field of play like that anymore. There used to be a ton, but ever since they started in with the new stadium construction boom in the early 90s, the vast majority of pens have been put behind the outfield fence. San Francisco didn’t do that, though, mostly because the San Francisco Bay is right beyond the outfield fence.
As I sit here right now I know that, apart from San Francisco, the pens are on the field at Wrigley and — I think — in Oakland. I’m blanking on any others, though I’m sure there are a few.
I always wondered if a lot of guys hurt themselves on those things.
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 0
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 21
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)