Jun 8, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
The more interesting part of this to me is how he hurt his ankle: tripping over the bullpen mounds down the right field line in AT&T Park while chasing a foul ball. There aren’t a ton of bullpens that are wide open to the field of play like that anymore. There used to be a ton, but ever since they started in with the new stadium construction boom in the early 90s, the vast majority of pens have been put behind the outfield fence. San Francisco didn’t do that, though, mostly because the San Francisco Bay is right beyond the outfield fence.
As I sit here right now I know that, apart from San Francisco, the pens are on the field at Wrigley and — I think — in Oakland. I’m blanking on any others, though I’m sure there are a few.
I always wondered if a lot of guys hurt themselves on those things.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)