Jun 8, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
The more interesting part of this to me is how he hurt his ankle: tripping over the bullpen mounds down the right field line in AT&T Park while chasing a foul ball. There aren’t a ton of bullpens that are wide open to the field of play like that anymore. There used to be a ton, but ever since they started in with the new stadium construction boom in the early 90s, the vast majority of pens have been put behind the outfield fence. San Francisco didn’t do that, though, mostly because the San Francisco Bay is right beyond the outfield fence.
As I sit here right now I know that, apart from San Francisco, the pens are on the field at Wrigley and — I think — in Oakland. I’m blanking on any others, though I’m sure there are a few.
I always wondered if a lot of guys hurt themselves on those things.
- J.A. Happ is thriving with the Pirates 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 44
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 68
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 149
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (150)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)