Jun 8, 2011, 2:20 PM EST
The more interesting part of this to me is how he hurt his ankle: tripping over the bullpen mounds down the right field line in AT&T Park while chasing a foul ball. There aren’t a ton of bullpens that are wide open to the field of play like that anymore. There used to be a ton, but ever since they started in with the new stadium construction boom in the early 90s, the vast majority of pens have been put behind the outfield fence. San Francisco didn’t do that, though, mostly because the San Francisco Bay is right beyond the outfield fence.
As I sit here right now I know that, apart from San Francisco, the pens are on the field at Wrigley and — I think — in Oakland. I’m blanking on any others, though I’m sure there are a few.
I always wondered if a lot of guys hurt themselves on those things.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 80
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)