Jun 8, 2011, 3:15 PM EST
Jerry Hairston Jr. was set to appeal his one-game suspension at a hearing today, but that’s no longer necessary because he’s injured anyway.
Instead he’ll serve the suspension this afternoon while sidelined by back spasms, but Hairston told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post that he still disagrees with MLB’s ruling that he made contact with umpire Ed Hickox while arguing a call.
He even called Hickox “a really good umpire.”
Alex Cora is starting at third base against the Giants in Hairston’s absence.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 27
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40