Jun 8, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Jerry Hairston Jr. was set to appeal his one-game suspension at a hearing today, but that’s no longer necessary because he’s injured anyway.
Instead he’ll serve the suspension this afternoon while sidelined by back spasms, but Hairston told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post that he still disagrees with MLB’s ruling that he made contact with umpire Ed Hickox while arguing a call.
He even called Hickox “a really good umpire.”
Alex Cora is starting at third base against the Giants in Hairston’s absence.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)