Jun 8, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Jerry Hairston Jr. was set to appeal his one-game suspension at a hearing today, but that’s no longer necessary because he’s injured anyway.
Instead he’ll serve the suspension this afternoon while sidelined by back spasms, but Hairston told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post that he still disagrees with MLB’s ruling that he made contact with umpire Ed Hickox while arguing a call.
He even called Hickox “a really good umpire.”
Alex Cora is starting at third base against the Giants in Hairston’s absence.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 39
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (95)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)