Jun 8, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Jerry Hairston Jr. was set to appeal his one-game suspension at a hearing today, but that’s no longer necessary because he’s injured anyway.
Instead he’ll serve the suspension this afternoon while sidelined by back spasms, but Hairston told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post that he still disagrees with MLB’s ruling that he made contact with umpire Ed Hickox while arguing a call.
He even called Hickox “a really good umpire.”
Alex Cora is starting at third base against the Giants in Hairston’s absence.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)