Marlins fire John Mallee, name ESPN analyst Eduardo Perez as new hitting coach

Jun 8, 2011, 11:00 PM EDT

mallee pose Getty Images

The Marlins must have been inspired by the quick hook that the Rangers gave to rookie hitting coach Thad Bosley on Wednesday afternoon.

According to the Marlins’ official Twitter feed, hitting coach John Mallee has been “relieved” of his duties and ESPN baseball analyst Eduardo Perez will take over the gig Thursday.

Mallee was promoted to the role of major league hitting coach in June of last season after spending nine years as a minor league hitting instructor in the Marlins’ farm system. He was drafted as a player by the Phillies in 1991 and hit .208 in 115 career minor league games before hanging up his cleats in ’92.

The Marlins ranked 19th in runs scored, 21st in total hits, 17th in home runs and 15th in team OPS heading into Wednesday’s action and lost to the Braves in extra innings tonight. Rarely would any of that be the hitting coach’s fault, but the front office decided to name a scapegoat and Mallee got the boot just an hour or two after Florida’s defeat. The appeal of adding a “big name” like Perez also probably played a part.

Perez has no major league or minor league coaching experience, but he serves as skipper for Leones De Ponce of the Puerto Rico Baseball League in the winter and won Manager of the Year there in 2008.

1. Jeremiah Graves - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Does this mean there’s an opening at ESPN for Minnesota Twins LEGEND, Lew Ford?!

I cannot imagine a better baseball analyst than Lew…and believe me, I’ve tried.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Awesome Lew Ford reference!

• jwbiii - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Wasn’t Perez working for ESPN Deportes? How is Ford’s Spanish? Also, ESPN would have to hire him away from the Long Island Ducks!

• Old Gator - Jun 9, 2011 at 1:58 AM

Warren Cromartie has been hanging around the margins of Terra Pescado for years now, haunting first this radio talk show and then that one, hinting that he’d like the Feesh batting coach job. The crow cries in the wilderness, but hell, he probably could do a pretty fine job with these guys. Wish they’d’ve given him a shot at it.

• Old Gator - Jun 9, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Coda: the irrepressible Logan Morrison has corked off the the local press that Mailee’s firing was just a lot of scapegoating. Well, that’s news, certainly.

2. Jeremiah Graves - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:13 PM

…is there any chance they fired him because he appears to be wearing Dustin Pedroia’s face as a mask?!

I know there’s a lot of teams that frown upon that…

• Drew Silva - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:26 PM

I can’t stop looking at that picture now. Great stuff, Jeremiah.

• Joe - Jun 9, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Looks like the unholy spawn of Pedroia and Youkilis. Look at that chin!

3. Old Gator - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:31 PM

I suppose the Feesh had to do something. They’ve swan-dived out of second place and hit third with a mighty thud. They must’ve thought they saw water. Ah well. Having the Mutts barking up your tailpipe is nothing to be proud of.

BTW Dan Uggla looked totally lost at the plate tonight. What a horrible season he’s having. He’d better start figuring out what to claim is hurting, and soon.

4. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Second day in a row an ESPN guy gets a coaching gig. Marc Jackson going to the Warriors and now Perez. Next teams will be hiring bloggers! :-)

• cur68 - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Oh pick me PLEASE! Cur “El Gaucho” Molina68 is ready to be a blogger/bench coach/back up catcher right now. Look, I changed my name to Molina; that’s catching PEDIGREE man. How can they resist?

• royalsfaninfargo - Jun 9, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Wont any team sign a catcher whos last name is Molina?

• cur68 - Jun 9, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Ah, you’ve tumbled to my clever, clever plan. Basically only 2 teams have a coveted Molina (until Bengie un-retires of course); The Cardinals and The Blue Jays. As such the remaining 28 teams all need one. This is my only way to fame, fortune and a Shane Victorino-esque maccin’ life style. It’s a can’t miss.

• jwbiii - Jun 9, 2011 at 1:14 AM

The Yankees have a non-genuine Molina in Scranton.

• Old Gator - Jun 9, 2011 at 1:43 AM

I liked when Molina got skewered trying to get out of the cave in Raiders of the Lost Ark. I also liked it when he compared screwing to a handshake in Whatsername. I only wish my ex had been that friendly.

5. crpls - Jun 9, 2011 at 3:35 AM

So, who are they gonna hire to coach hitters versus right handers?

• Old Gator - Jun 9, 2011 at 10:00 AM

See my comments about Warren Cromartie above. Anyway, it’s not just the execrable situational hitting that’s killing my Feesh; the boolpen has been less than Olympian for some weeks now, even preceding this skid. What’s wrong with this team is wrong all the way through it.

6. purdueman - Jun 9, 2011 at 5:57 AM

da-da-dant-da-da-dant!

Now if only somebody would hire ESPN screwball Bobby Valentine away and get his useless ass off the air too!

• Old Gator - Jun 9, 2011 at 10:26 AM

You do realize how funny it is that you bring up Bobby Valentine in connection with the Feesh, right?

• rollinghighwayblues - Jun 9, 2011 at 10:30 AM

I’m not sure why but I like Bobby V. He always seems like that cool uncle that seems really on the the up and up then one day he’ll offer to drink a 6 pack with you in the garage while you’re still in HS. I always get a laugh at Bobby’s facial expression when the cameras on him but someone else is talking, so animated.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4939)